Next wave of the crisis

From a simple perspective, should we be able to gauge the financial position of the developers now that the tax filing deadline has passed?

I suppose what I wish to know is when can the affected companies no longer hide behind accounting exercises?

true

I feel sorry for my fellow first time buyers who sought impartial advice on askaboutmoney at the top of the boom

I nearly fell for the gracious living brochures before I discovered www.thepropertypin.com

Do you think people buy houses based on what someone says on an internet forum? Do people not do their own research?

Do you think people buy houses based on what someone says on an internet forum? Do people not do their own research?

I think the exchange of ideas on internet forums can very helpful in allowing people to conduct their own research. For example the property pin website helped me to judge the lack of balanced information coming from the media, compromised forums, and even family and friends

Yes, many relied on these vested interests and are now paying the price.

I've had a look at this Property Pin website. What balance? Everything just points the one direction.

Looks like a wannabe Askaboutmoney set up by sulking former Askaboutmoney posters who got banned from AAM because they didn't stick to the posting guidelines. Where's the useful information, as distinct from the useless opinions of those who think they can predict the unpredictable?

I've had a look at this Property Pin website. What balance? Everything just points the one direction.
It seems to me that everything is just going in one direction.

It seems to me that everything is just going in one direction.

If I make a recording of myself shouting "Property prices are going to go down tomorrow." and then play it on a constant loop outside my house, for a while people are going to mistakenly think I'm displaying uncanny prescience and judgement. But then one day I'll be wrong.

If I make a recording of myself shouting "Property prices are going to go down tomorrow." and then play it on a constant loop outside my house, for a while people are going to mistakenly think I'm displaying uncanny prescience and judgement. But then one day I'll be wrong.
But you are assuming that the people who were shouting that the prices were going to fall are going to continue to preach that after the decline. How do you know this is true? Maybe if they stop you'll admit that they were right?

I think the exchange of ideas on internet forums can very helpful in allowing people to conduct their own research. For example the property pin website helped me to judge the lack of balanced information coming from the media, compromised forums, and even family and friends

Yes, many relied on these vested interests and are now paying the price.
That's a fair point that the exchange of ideas can help one in making a decision. I can't read the property pin, it's layout is impossible for me :eek:

The Property Pin is an extremely useful tool for buying a house. It introduced me to treesdontgrowtothesky which was invaluable in tracking actual house price drops and seeing how long a house has been around and when the drops have occured.

Doing your 'own research' was impossible. Estate Agents being what they are, were hardly going to give you an inkling into what was going on. Sure you could talk to developers and connected people but they were all knee deep in it.

I have never had any connection with the Property Pin, sure there is alot of trash talk on there (you dont have to read it) but it was and I think still is, the only source of actual market information of what is going on out there.

Burying your head in the sand doesn`t help anyone either.
I find the property pin site absolutely fantastic and has guided my financial decisions in the right path for the last few years. It`s the only site I log on to virtually every day, it`s informative and unbridled by silly censorship.

Burying your head in the sand doesn`t help anyone either.
I find the property pin site absolutely fantastic and has guided my financial decisions in the right path for the last few years. It`s the only site I log on to virtually every day, it`s informative and unbridled by silly censorship.

And its absolutely full of useful information. Don't see how anyone could have missed it.

I think its fairly clear that most people buying a house at the moment use and rate the property pin. I think its also fairly clear that most people getting a mortgage and looking for financial info use AAM.

There's plenty of space for two bulletin boards......

Are you a mortgage broker?

there are many ways for a bank to go to the wall. They could merge where two become one. Merill Lynch 'went the wall' when it was merged with bank of america. I think we'll see mergers with the market capitalization of both becoming more or less equal to one therefore one will have disappeared.

Are you a mortgage broker?

I have several strings to my bow. A minority perentage of turnover does come from arranging mortgages.

Why? Perhaps you think that I'm incapable of holding a view without it being warped by self-interest. Or maybe you think that I'm on a one-man crusade to talk up the Irish property market. Go me!

I was equally scathing of the muppets who proclaimed that property could only go up. They were just as wrong as these property pinheads.

What do you do yourself?

Back