Newry Traffic Chaos

bamboozle

word coming through is there are huge tail backs in traffic around Newry,

good to see the strikers multi-tasking!

Since schools are closed a lot of parents are taking annual leave.
A few in our office anyway and we're not alone

Not just the strikers gone shopping

The strikers are perfectly entitled to head for Newry today. They're not being paid if out on industrial action, so they can do what they like!

The strikers are perfectly entitled to head for Newry today. They're not being paid if out on industrial action, so they can do what they like!

hmmmm...should they not be doing what they're meant to do? ie...picket their place of employment for their working day???

Of course they can - does it not strike you as somewhat hypocritical though considering the circumstances surrounding the reasons for their strike action?

hmmmm...should they not be doing what they're meant to do? ie...picket their place of employment for their working day???

Picketers are rostered by their strike committee.
If a council office has 50 staff on strike you don't have 50 people out in the rain all day today.
Each member does a few hours and that's all you have to do.

Of course they can - does it not strike you as somewhat hypocritical though considering the circumstances surrounding the reasons for their strike action?

Yes. It strikes me as extremely hypocritical - however, unless someone polls the shoppers we wont ever know if the majority are in fact people like parents who decided to go shopping for the day with the kids because the kids were off school or people who are supposed to be striking.

Yes. It strikes me as extremely hypocritical - however, unless someone polls the shoppers we wont ever know if the majority are in fact people like parents who decided to go shopping for the day with the kids because the kids were off school or people who are supposed to be striking.

You are right but perception is reality and the damage is done. Therefore, it's a PR disaster.

You are right but perception is reality and the damage is done. Therefore, it's a PR disaster.

Yes I would agree with that analysis.

Just out of interest - where is it being reported that tailbacks in Newry are so bad?

Is there any great point in picketing a place thats shut anyway? Obviously its not possible to cross a picket line even if you wanted to.

Yes I would agree with that analysis.

Just out of interest - where is it being reported that tailbacks in Newry are so bad?

Just heard it on 2fm news!. Also said that there was another strike day planned before the budget........ sure they'd have to, they spent this strike day shopping! ;)

I'd give it a go :D

Thought you might - I'd join you.

I'm hoping to find some novel way of showing my disapproval of strikers as it happens - not sure what I'll do. Might have a few more chances before the year is out it seems.

Since schools are closed a lot of parents are taking annual leave.
A few in our office anyway and we're not alone

Not just the strikers gone shopping

True, but its a result of the strike.
Now less tax dollars to pay the wages. T
hey must be rubbing their hands up there when the unions announced the possiblity of more strikes.
And now because of the tailbacks people might head up the night before and spend more tax dollars in B&Bs etc.

Strikers go xmas shopping in NI

Another strike on Dec 3rd just in case they missed any bargains.

Re: Strikers go xmas shopping in NI

From RTE:

"Social and Family Affairs Minister Mary Hanafin has said anyone who chose to shop north of the border today should reflect on the damage they are doing to the economy.
Ms Hanafin said she understood that everyone was currently seeking the best value when doing their shopping but people should think of the consequences when deciding where to go".

If she did her bloody job right in the first place nobody would be going.

Vive la Revolucion!!!

So its hypocritical for public servants to avail of cheaper prices in NI, but its ok for the thousands of non-public sector workers who do it every weekend? Please. Its just a poor excuse to moan about the public sector

Back