newly plastered walls

P

peggybetty

We just got walls & ceiling plastered and want to get wooden floors, how long do I have to wait for them to dry out ?

Thanks

peggybetty said:
We just got walls & ceiling plastered and want to get wooden floors, how long do I have to wait for them to dry out ?

Thanks

Just to be sure that no moisture remains then give them a good two weeks drying out time after that you can decorate to your hearts content.

Good Luck ;)

Definitely 2 weeks ... wooden floors, especially solid ones won't like a room with a lot of moisture in it - just remember the amount of water your plasterer used mixing up the skim.. it all has to go somewhere.

Give it a good bit of time to dry out .... it will dry out faster if it's in a house with heating on etc.

When you get the wooden floors it's a good idea to get the timber a few days before the carpenter comes to lay them (given punctuality of tradesmen etc. I'm sure this will be easy to arrange :) ) ... leaving them sitting in the room allows them to adjust to the temperature/humidity of the room apparently.

Recently installed a solid wooden floor and was told to leave it for 3 weeks to aclimatise..........3 weeks!! I kept tripping over the stuff. It was solid Maple

Leaving the wood 2 to 3 weeks would definitely be preferable. They will expand, even after this, but giving them the few weeks will prevent them expanding too much after they are put down

Just a note of warning on leaving the wood out to aclimatise before laying it - this is very dependant on the type of wood you are laying. For example a Juncker solid beech floor is to be laid straight from the packaging without being aired at all.

Back