New Zealand drivers licence

sandrat

My mother in law is coming to visit later this year for a few weeks and we were wondering if she would be able to drive one of our cars using her new zealand drivers licence. Also if she can is it normally expensive to add a foreign licenced driver to an insurance policy?

Ask her to get an international driver's licence from New Zealand. She can use it in most any country except New Zealand and it is issued/valid for a year (usually). I'm not sure what the policy is for adding her on you insurance policy, you'll have to ask your insurance company but if you are renting a car, it's a lot easier and cheaper to get the rental company insurance coverage to cover her. Like any policy, remember to read the fine print and make sure you get the adequate coverage.

Insurance companies view an international/New Zealand licence as a provisional licence and charge accordingly (about a 20% load).
Ring your company to get a quote/to see of they will add her on.

does that mean she would have to have an accompanying driver? Not much point if it does!

does that mean she would have to have an accompanying driver? Not much point if it does!
No, otherwise she couldn't rent a car on her New Zealand licence. With Irish insurers its just an insurance loading issue for non-EU licence holders on Irish policies.

No, otherwise she couldn't rent a car on her New Zealand licence. With Irish insurers its just an insurance loading issue for non-EU licence holders on Irish policies.

What he said......;)

The law allows her to drive on her licence short term. I was more referring to the fact that some companies will load her and some may not insure her.

Back