New York to the Caribbean

Lydia

Hi,
We are getting married next year and are thinking about going to New York and from there onto the Caribbean (not really fussy where) for our honeymoon. We are thinking of booking our own return flights from Ireland to NY and then booking a separate holiday from New York to the Caribbean. We would fly home then from NY. Does anyone know how we would do the NY to Caribbean part ourselves or would we be better off going through a travel agent?

Thanks!!!!

Have you considered a Caribbean cruise. I went on a four day one last summer and it was fantastic. You could go on a seven day or longer if you wished.

You could fly from NY to Miami take the cruise and fly home from Miami.

I would suggest if you were doing this to book a multicity trip with American Airlines and the cruise with Royal Caribbean. When you get to Miami, Royal Caribbean will take your luggage and transport you to the cruise ship. Excellent service

Thanks.
We have decided against a cruise because neither of us travels very well on ship.
Will google travel agents in NY and maybe go with one of them.
Thanks.

Look up Jet Blue. They travel all along the East Coast of the U.S. and to some of the Caribbean Islands. Very good airline and you can book on line and sometimes get special offers. Traveled with them from NY to Miami a few years ago. Good value.

L.

Look up Jet Blue. They travel all along the East Coast of the U.S. and to some of the Caribbean Islands. Very good airline and you can book on line and sometimes get special offers. Traveled with them from NY to Miami a few years ago. Good value.

L.

I was in New York In feb and Jet Blue were constantly on the news because were being delayed for hours waiting on flights and in some cases they were stuck on the planes for up to ten hours. Anyone u ask over there has only bad things to say about jet blue and they seem to be the ryanair of New York.

Thanks.
We have decided against a cruise because neither of us travels very well on ship.
Will google travel agents in NY and maybe go with one of them.
Thanks.

If you change your mind let me know and I'll give you any information you want. Believe me you will not be on a ship. You will be on a floating hotel and you will not even have a problem

I'd disagree with frankmac if you don't travel well. I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and the ground didn't stop moving for about 3 weeks after I got off! That coupled with the bout of food poisoning I got has put me off cruises forever....

Hi,
Does anyone know how we would do the NY to Caribbean part ourselves or would we be better off going through a travel agent?

Thanks!!!!

Some years ago we flew from NY to St Lucia with BWIA which we organised ourselves . BWIA no longer exists but Caribbean Airlines which is the national airline of Trinidad and Tobago now operates most of the routes previously operated by BWIA.

Hi,

As it your honeymoon, think going to Trailfinders would be a good idea just to get an idea for flights. The only reason I say this, is that we initially tried to book our own flights for our honeymoon, (going to South America). Ended up saving some money going through them.

There are generally lots of flights from JFK to all parts of the Carribean particularly with American Airlines. Other main U.S. carriers fly there as well. There is a free train link in JFK that you can use to travel from terminal to Terminal. Also is a bus shuttle. Terminals are usually organised by Airline in JFK.

If you are flying via the U.S., this will rule out going to Cuba.
Also, please try and avoid Hurricane season. Usually runs from June through to November.
Have flown to Puerto Rico before twice, via New York (JFK) using American Airlines for Second leg. They were ok. As for the Island, Is like America in ways except everyone mainly speaks Spanish. Not sure if it really Honeymoon material.

Travelled to St Martin, small Island. Quite nice - great weather when there. Please note that you may be subject to Airport delays.
(As a whole, don't expect quick turnarounds particularly with non American airlines in the Carribbean). Probably, some of the other Lesser Antilles Islands, such as St Lucia, St Kitts, Turks and Caicos are all good for beach /honeymoon as would Aruba (which we considered for our Honeymoon). Aruba is further away, just above Venezula.

Think some less developed countries in the region (such as Dominican Republic) can suffer frequent power outages, and you would be often left confined to resort due to crime.

I'd disagree with frankmac if you don't travel well. I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and the ground didn't stop moving for about 3 weeks after I got off! That coupled with the bout of food poisoning I got has put me off cruises forever....

I think the problem there was after you got off the ship.:)

I definitly sympathise with you if you got food poisoning. But I only speak from my own experience

The last 2 years I've travelled to Puerto Rico via Newark booking it all on the continental.com/ie website. I've left gaps so I could stay in NYC for a few days and found the transition in newark seamless due to it being continental airlines main hub in the US. for short hop flights to another island in the caribbean I used Cape Air.

Lydia, Continental do direct flights down to antigua. I'm fairly sure there are direct flights from ny down to barbados and st lucia as well. You would definitely be better off getting a one way flight dub-ny, then one way ny to carib, then home from carib direct to london then dublin. The reason i say this is if you go via ny on way back you will have a single overnight stay in ny, arrive late and leave early next day, not pleasant. It will probably also work out cheaper the other way if you book yourself on internet and not via an agent.

Back