New York July - Heat?

Grindle

Hi...me and Mr. Grindle are planning to take a holiday to new york in July this year.

we've heard that it can get very hot. Both of us are ok in the heat...but from people's past experience, is it still easy to function and do all the things that a first trip to new york would involve? How bad can it get?

it's not the heat that's the problem it's the humidity. I love New York but never again June-August, it really is unbearable to be outside. New York is a great city to explore on foot which is why the summer is really not the best time to visit.

It's not as predictable as say the mediteranean climate - it could be neck tricklingly stifling or it might be pleasantly balmy. I've had both experiences in July. As mentioned, the humidity is usually more of a concern than the actual temperature.

We were there in June and it was hot but not unbearable. The year after we went in March and it was still t-shirt weather. I would'nt let the weather influence your decision much we are going again this year in June.

sightsee in morning.

rest in a/c bedroom afternoon or go to beach -Coney island- or take a river/ferry cruise.

enjoy balmy evenings eating out -Greenwich Village and the likes.

(watch out for West Nile Virus mossies -put cream on).

New York is a sticky hothouse in July/August. I wouldn't go near it in those months, except maybe the last week in August. Too much like a penance!

We were in New York around Independence Day four years ago, not the easiest time to go sight seeing! Very humid and heavy weather!
We were also there for Paddys day 2 years ago and it snowed inches!
I think Sept/Oct is probably the best time to go as regards the weather!

Some days can be ok, but it can get pretty hot - especially with the humidity.

The trick is to keep trips outside to relatively short jaunts.

If you're out for the afternoon, keep it to no more than 30-45 minutes walking (with plenty of water), followed by 45 mins or so in an airconditioned area. If your hotel is centrally located, it can help, because then you can keep popping back when you need to.

Hotel lobbies or shopping centres can be great for finding good airconditioning.

Overall, it's quite bearable, if you're careful.

Oh, and keep a hat on when you're drinking all that water!!

Back