New will

hazelgreen

I want to rewrite my will. Since marriage, I have inherited and would like to make bequests to some of my extended family. Can I do this or does this money or any possible Lotto winnings become 'ours' as in self and husband. Or should my will be a list as 'wishes' to be respected at the discretion of my executor rather than directives that must be adhered to? Should wills of married couple mirror each other?

No, but you should have a chat with himself about it. Just that it might be a good idea and then take it from there.

This might be helpful.

If you have no children he will be entitled to half of your estate or one third if there are children. It mentions giving up entitlements so probably you and he can come to a legal agreement on your inheritances as being separate to your jointly owned assets at the time you make a will. Just speak to your lawyer to find out what you both can do.

The executor also need to comply with the law which would take precedence over wishes, they would not be able to ignore the law.

Best of luck on the lotto!

A more complex subject than I imagined. Some background historically is

Married Women's Property Act 1882​

This reminds me of a great grandmother in UK who was widowed in 1883 and inherited her husbands business which she later sold. She eventually bought 12 small cottages when she had remarried and when she died in 1930, she willed the property to her three children, including a son by her first marriage and her widower.

Back