New website for comparing bin charges - bincompare.ie

arbitron

Registered User
Messages
786
I came across this website in an Irish Independent article about saving money:


It has a nice user interface.

I'm not in Ireland so don't have any bins to compare!

If anyone gives it a go, please give us your review.
 
Last edited:
Doesn't seem to cover my personal situation in Dublin (close to city centre) where refuse bags are still available on a pay as you go basis, with no fixed/account maintenance costs, from the likes of Greyhound and Ecoway (and maybe KeyGreen, I'm not sure).
 
If anyone gives it a go, please give us your review.
For me living in Dublin it's not an accurate comparison as it could be if it was post code adjusted
My understanding when refuse collections were privatised Dublin was carved up among the private providers
and generally for the private householder they had a choice of two service agents for their area

where I live there were two initially but now both are owned by the one company
So rather then having 7 service agents as the website indicates there is only 1 that actually provides service to my area
So changing it to post code rather then county might help this inaccuracy

The other thing that stands out is there is little or no difference in the monthly plans that would make you consider changing
 
Cork shows 5 options. I think we have two. I also don’t know if I am urban or rural.

Maybe we have more options but everyone in my estate is with one of two so I doubt they would want to come and I wouldn’t want to be the one dragging another provider in.
 
Totally inaccurate in our case. It showed our bin company's monthly charge as €35 whereas it is actually €21 for our bill (€126 per 6 months).
 
The new site is of some use, it could provide a bit more specific detail though ;

As already mentioned by others, the new site gives all the providers in each county. For me, the new site says Key Waste are the best match, but when you look at their websites, Key Waste and 4 of the others listed do not service my area in Dublin, only Panda and Greyhound do.

The monthly price for both Panda and Greyhound are very similar, but the service can be very different. The new website says they both collect fortnightly in Dublin. In my Dublin area they both actually collect the black bin weekly, but in D18 for example, Panda is weekly but Greyhound are only fortnightly. This would not bother me but is important for families with young children in nappies who often need a black bin collected weekly.

It would also be helpful to mention any termination charges that providers might apply if you choose to switch providers. I don’t know about the others but Panda appears to have a very anti competitive €50 charge, if you leave them to cover collecting, cleaning and the re-branding of your bins.
 
I came across this thread by chance. I’m the developer behind this website. I fully agree with some of the comments above, especially around the fact that the site used to let you enter your county and that was it.

Now, the site asks for your eircode and filters out the companies to the best of our ability - only showing companies that serve your home.

I was delighted when the site got covered by the media, really would love more feedback on it to make it even better!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Leo
Fairly accurate site for our eircode
It did however fail to list the 0.085 charge per kg for recycle, which is in addition to lift charge, and separate from an excess charge.
Our selected provider, Panda, has introduced a fuel surcharge per month, albeit temporary, effective 1st May, (.97c plus VAT) which may need to be incorporated into your site, as I am sure other providers will also follow.
No mention though on frequency of collections under our provider. Might be useful under your bin symbols, to list the frequency of collections.

*Edit - Meant to say overall a good website, well done @JamieF
 
Last edited:
I was delighted when the site got covered by the media, really would love more feedback on it to make it even better!
Fair play for setting up this site.

FYI, when I put in my south county Dublin Eircode and my requirements, your site suggests 4 providers with Keygreen being the best match, I go to Keygreens website and it says they only service D4 & D6, so not my area.

Next best are Panda & Greyhound who do service my area.

Then Ecowaste, but they only service D1,2,3,7, again not my area.

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Another big update was made this weekend, the data should be much more accurate now.

@Fionclaire - That's an interesting one regarding the recycling excess, is that with Panda too I assume? It's amazing how many different pricing models all these companies have!

@Des Pondent Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately not all companies allows me to easily check if they provide coverage to a specific eircode. However, many do which is the good news. Keep an eye out for "Eircode coverage confirmed" beside the company name and they are 100% going to cover your home. The site also removes companies that we know for a fact don't cover your home. However there are still some companies that don't provide an eircode lookup that we can use, so for those we keep them in the list with the caveat that they might not cover your home.
 
New feature added today to get email alerts if there’s price drops / exclusive deals that are only available through the site (this will be coming soon!)
 
Back
Top