New VAT Rate for Hospitality - do the reductions get passed to consumer?

M

madcatwoman

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section...

The VAT rate for aspects of the hospitality industry are being reduced on July 1st from 13.5% to 9%.

I would post the URL but am not permitted due to lack of postage, so it can be read on the Revenue.ie site under Taxes and Duties> Value Added Tax> Current & Historic Rates of VAT > Rate change - Jobs Initiative 2011.

Was wondering if there is any obligation on suppliers to pass on this charge legally?

My wedding is booked for later in the year but the prices I agreed to were inclusive of the 13.5% VAT. I asked the hotel and they said due to the rising cost of doing business blah blah that they would be absorbing this and not passing it on as a price reduction (and would just change the VAT rate in the terms and conditions). So effectively, the food portion of the package has increased by 4.5% in what I feel is a most stealthy way.

Any advice much appreciated.

AFAIK there is no obligation on the supplier to pass the VAT reduction on to the end customer.

In fact, when the 21% VAT rate was reduced to 20%, a key element of the reversal of the reduction back to the 21% rate was that most shops etc weren't passing on the VAT reduction to their customers.

What is the exact wording on the agreement that you signed?

What is the exact wording on the agreement that you signed?

The Agreement should specify the Net (before VAT) Cost. This is the amount you agreed to pay so you should see a reduced overall bill.

I remember that our Agreement had a clause to highlight the fact that if the VAT rate changed it would be us (not the hotel) that would be liable for the difference. This should work in your favour now. Make sure you carefully read any agreement that you have signed.

You could also contact the Consumers' Association of Ireland for advice. I think you are definitely entitled to the reduced cost.

Many thanks to all for the input.

I've checked my documentation from the hotel and there's no clause regarding the VAT reduction being absorbed by them, it merely says that prices are inclusive of Govt VAT.

I've sent a mail to the Consumer Association, thanks for that idea!

If you have a price now, but dont consume the service until after the new rate comes in, you will have a reduced cost.
If the price you have now includes VAT then that rate is at the higher rate.

Heres what to do.
Ask for a VAT invoice NOW. Then they have to include VAT at todays rate. They cannot assume a future VAT rate today. This will show something like
Cost €1000
Vat @ 13.5% = €135
Total €1135

So the vendor gets €1000 and revenue get the €135

When it comes to paying for the service get another VAT invoice.
They should not be able to change the €100 they are charging you.
So at the new VAT rate you get
Cost €1000
Vat @ 9% = €90
Total €1090

Now the vendor still gets €1000 but revenue get the €90.

If the vendor keeps the difference they are charging you a different price and breaking your contract.

If you get VAT invoices now and when you pay for the service, they cannot possibly pocket the difference on you.

OP, If the hotel want to play dirty with you, then I suggest you tell them they have broken the contract and start looking at other venues. Dont need to cancel your original venue until you get a good enough deal elsewhere.

Heres what to do.
Ask for a VAT invoice NOW. Then they have to include VAT at todays rate. They cannot assume a future VAT rate today. This will show something like
Cost €1000
Vat @ 13.5% = €135
Total €1135

So the vendor gets €1000 and revenue get the €135

When it comes to paying for the service get another VAT invoice.
They should not be able to change the €100 they are charging you.
So at the new VAT rate you get
Cost €1000
Vat @ 9% = €90
Total €1090

Now the vendor still gets €1000 but revenue get the €90.

If the vendor keeps the difference they are charging you a different price and breaking your contract.

If you get VAT invoices now and when you pay for the service, they cannot possibly pocket the difference on you.

Very strange advice, which should be treated with extreme caution. Issuing VAT invoices twice in relation to a single transaction would represent, in my opinion, a very serious breach of VAT laws.

I've spoken with a number of service providers in this space.

Some intend passing on the VAT reduction while others do not.

The overriding attitude is that they've taken a horrendous amount of pain over the last few years and their prices have been adjusted accordingly. The costs associated with updating menus and websites alone would be prohibitive.

In the OP's case, I don't believe she's any basis for seeking a price reduction. Having said that, if you don't ask you don't get.

Very strange advice, which should be treated with extreme caution. Issuing VAT invoices twice in relation to a single transaction would represent, in my opinion, a very serious breach of VAT laws.

Rubbish. Just like your last post in this thread.
Its not uncommon to get VAT invoices more than once. Its also not uncommon to get a VAT invoice and then a receipt with the vat on it either.
Please shows us the "VAT laws" that are breached?

And if they are worried, because of your post, then all they need to do is get their quote to state the VAT rate. eg €1135 inc VAT @ 13.5%

I've spoken with a number of service providers in this space.

Some intend passing on the VAT reduction while others do not.

The overriding attitude is that they've taken a horrendous amount of pain over the last few years and their prices have been adjusted accordingly. The costs associated with updating menus and websites alone would be prohibitive.

In the OP's case, I don't believe she's any basis for seeking a price reduction. Having said that, if you don't ask you don't get.

Of course she does.
The vendor cannot pocket the difference in the vat rates.
What they can do is increase what they are charging for the service. This has nothing to do with the VAT rate change. But thats a breach of contract if she has already agreed the price.
If the price is agreed today then they must charge todays vat rate. They cannot assume a future vat rate.

OP, do what I suggested an get the VAT rate on the quote or invoice.
They will then have no choice. Similarly, if the VAT rate increased, then they would have to charge you the increased VAT amount.

You can bet though that anyone in the hospitality industry will try to twist this, just to wear you down, but if you think about it there is only one way it can work. All you have to do is take them to the small claims court, or wherever a small price disagreement goes to, even just a solicitors letter, and you cant lose if you have the VAT rate stated on the invoice for the price you have agreed before the VAT change.

The fact that the OP agreed an 'all-in price' somewhat complicates the matter- is there/ isn't there a contracted price?
However, I would suggest that the OP should insist that the VAT rate which applies is the one in force as at the date of the wedding, not the one at the date of the agreement to host the wedding.

I disagree with the hotels stance- the hotel was agreeable to an all-in price of €X, including VAT at 13.5%. Presumably, the hotel was making a profit at X net of VAT. The hotel can still charge X but only add on the lower VAT rate if that is in force when the wedding is hosted.

I'd 'bet the farm' that if the recent budget had led to an increase in the VAT rate that the hotel would have insisted on the all-in price being increased accordingly. Equally, I can't really see how the rising cost of business is a strong argument- if we are to believe what we hear, many costs have been reducing/ competitiveness has been improving. Potentially, some of the employees of the hotel are on lower pay and the rate of employer's PRSI will be halved shortly. Equally, the negative feelings which the OP might have towards the hotel (if the owners insist on no change to the costs) should be taken into account- bad press and all that.

I wouldn't agree with the advice to get 2 invoices- it seems to be adding an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy to the process. In any event, surely an invoice should only be issued when the services have been rendered rather than in advance of same.

Rubbish. Just like your last post in this thread.
Its not uncommon to get VAT invoices more than once. Its also not uncommon to get a VAT invoice and then a receipt with the vat on it either.
Please shows us the "VAT laws" that are breached?

And if they are worried, because of your post, then all they need to do is get their quote to state the VAT rate. eg €1135 inc VAT @ 13.5%

Minion, you do not appear to know what you're talking about.

It's an offence to issue multiple VAT invoices. It's a breach of the VAT acts.

I know that when I booked my own wedding, there was no mention of VAT whatsoever (i.e. the price was the price). That would be normal in pretty much all circumstances for sales to non VAT registered private individuals.

It's an offence to issue multiple VAT invoices. It's a breach of the VAT acts.

I know that when I booked my own wedding, there was no mention of VAT whatsoever (i.e. the price was the price). That would be normal in pretty much all circumstances for sales to non VAT registered private individuals.

This i not a B2B transaction.
Get a receipt/quote that shows the VAT rate. That is not an offence.
You are allowed to do this.
When there is no mention of VAT then its VAT inclusive. If it says ex VAT then its excluding VAT.

Its the simplest most straightforward thing in the world to ask a business to include the vat rate on their quote. If you dont do this then prepare to get bent over by the hotels come payment day.

At the end of the day, its up to the OP to protect themselves from getting ripped off. If they dont want to take simple steps to protect themselves then they know what to expect.

Heres what to do.
Ask for a VAT invoice NOW.When it comes to paying for the service get another VAT invoice

Issuing VAT invoices twice in relation to a single transaction would represent, in my opinion, a very serious breach of VAT laws.

Its not uncommon to get VAT invoices more than once.

It's an offence to issue multiple VAT invoices.

This i not a B2B transaction.
Get a receipt/quote that shows the VAT rate. That is not an offence.
You are allowed to do this.

Minion, with all due respect your advice is all over the place. The points raised by T McGibney and myself are entirely valid. You're using loose language and referring to VAT invoices, quotes and receipts as if they're interchangeable terms. In one of the above posts you're advocating the issuing of multiple VAT invoices but then subsequent to that you "back up the truck".

Minion, with all due respect your advice is all over the place. The points raised by T McGibney and myself are entirely valid. You're using loose language and referring to VAT invoices, quotes and receipts as if they're interchangeable terms. In one of the above posts you're advocating the issuing of multiple VAT invoices but then subsequent to that you "back up the truck".

I think you're making something very complicated here where there is no need for complication.

Cut it whatever way you want. Get an invoice, a quote, a receipt etc. You can have the VAT rate and amount on them all if you ask for it.

And just for yourselves.
INVOICE :
"An invoice or bill is a commercial document issued by a seller to the buyer, indicating the products, quantities, and agreed prices for products or services the seller has provided the buyer. An invoice indicates the buyer must pay the seller, according to the payment terms. The buyer has a maximum amount of days to pay these goods and are sometimes offered a discount if paid before."

If the rate of VAT changes between issuing of the invoice and when the service is delivered or paid for a new invoice must be issued. You cant charge somebody a VAT rate that no longer is applicable.

So lets simplify it for you even more Gekko.
Get the hotel to itemize your bill for you. Whatever way you want to do it. Include the cost, the vat rate, the vat charged, etc
When you are paying ask them to itemize it again. If they put the new VAT rate on it then you save the difference. If they dont it will be obvious that they have overcharged you.

It is impossible for the hotel to overcharge you with the new rate, once you get them to write down these amounts you have agreed before the VAT rate changes.

By all means, listen to the people saying that the hotel can take the VAT difference off you if you want. You might as well light a cigar with your money.

And i'm still waiting for someone to provide a link to a these laws that say an invoice cannot be reissued.

So to sum up. Its very simple for the OP to protect themselves from overcharging here. It just involves getting the VAT rate on paper. Dont be telling them they cannot do that.

And just for yourselves.
INVOICE :
"An invoice or bill is a commercial document issued by a seller to the buyer, indicating the products, quantities, and agreed prices for products or services the seller has provided the buyer. An invoice indicates the buyer must pay the seller, according to the payment terms. The buyer has a maximum amount of days to pay these goods and are sometimes offered a discount if paid before."

Wikipedia isn't an authoritative source for Irish VAT regulations.

The hotel are not obliged to issue a VAT invoice unless the OP is entitled to reclaim the VAT on that invoice

[broken link removed]

3. Who must issue a VAT Invoice?

3.1 An accountable person (that is, a person registered for VAT) who supplies goods or services (except construction services supplied under a relevant contract. See Paragraph 3.3). is obliged to issue a VAT invoice where the supply is made to any of the following:

- another taxable person,
- a Government Department,
- a local authority,
- a body established by statute,
- a person who caries on an activity which is exempt from VAT,
- a person, who is not an individual, in another EU Member State,
- a person in another EU Member State where a reverse charge applies, that is, where the VAT is not accountable for by the supplier in Ireland but is accountable for by the customer in the other EU Member State, and
- a person in another EU Member State under the distance selling rules. Distance selling occurs when a supplier in one EU Member State sells goods to a person in another EU Member State who is not registered for VAT and the supplier is responsible for the delivery of the goods. It includes mail order sales and phone or tele-sales but does not include sales of new means of transport or excisable goods. (Information Leaflet relating to the treatment of distance sales.)

3.2 It should be noted that an accountable person is required, if requested in writing, to issue a VAT invoice in respect of a transaction with an unregistered person in the State who is entitled to a repayment of the VAT. An accountable person is not required to issue a VAT invoice to an unregistered person otherwise, but may do so if he or she so wishes.

Simple question.
Simple solution.
Yet some people insist on beating about the bush and not even attempt to answer the question for the OP. Typical of accountants, solicitors etc really. Complicate things far beyond how complicated issues need to be.
OP, im sure you can figure out how to help yourself from this thread. Theres really nothing to it.

I am following this thread with interest! I am not an accountant, but I worked for many years in hotel sales.

In my experience, it was standard procedure to issue a pro-forma invoice when an order/sale was made for conferences or for banqueting. When a wedding couple made a provisional wedding booking, usually 12-24 months prior to the actual event, I would have drafted up for them a pro-forma invoice based on the details they provided, so that they would have an indication of price well in advance of the wedding. This procedure was also followed for conferences and other banqueting functions that would be booked by corporate clients. Corporate bookers in particular would want proformas issued every time any substantial changes in the booking were made. Obviously the 'final' invoice - the one that detailed the actual service provided on the day - was the one that was payable. Is this practice, of issuing a pro-forma invoice prior to the event and a final invoice after, not permitted?

On recent hotel stays, I've noticed that the bills presented on check-out and their corresponding receipts DO indicate the VAT rates, as different rates attach to different products/services consumed (room hire, food, accommodation, beverage, etc).

Simple question.
Simple solution.
Yet some people insist on beating about the bush and not even attempt to answer the question for the OP. Typical of accountants, solicitors etc really. Complicate things far beyond how complicated issues need to be.
OP, im sure you can figure out how to help yourself from this thread. Theres really nothing to it.

If you read the OP's original post, there is one question in it, which is

"Was wondering if there is any obligation on suppliers to pass on this charge legally?"

The answer to this question is no

Your suggestion to get an invoice before the event and another after the event and sue them for any changes is without legal standing because, as I quoted from revenue website, the hotel is under no legal obligation to issue a VAT invoice AT ALL EVER, either before, during, or after the event.

I prefer to offer an opinion based on the tax acts and contract law as opposed to just what the ordinary man on the street thinks the OP should do to solve the problem

Back