New Tv for Old Movies

odyssey06

My ancient tv is reaching end of the road.

Looking for a new 43 inch. Its a bright room so online reviews suggest LED.

I watch a lot of old movies and also subtitled TV series. So looking for a TV that can tolerate poorer / standard definition content.

Ive read a lot of reviews and they leave me more confused... lot of complaints about fiddly remotes and unresponsive menus.

Any recommendations?

We got a Sony Bravia. No complaints with it. I think it is about 43". With the thinner frame, it is the same size as our previous 32" version.

Thanks yeah there is a Sony Bravia in Power City I will probably end up getting ... its pricier than the LG Samsung etc but in the absence of glowing review for the cheaper options will play it safe

Another one here for Sony, Have been using them now for 18 years and would always be my first choice
But having said that it's kind of like mobile phones, again I only use Sony and won't even look at Apple or Samsung

Would agree with Pinoy adventure, up to Power city or Harveys and have a good look at all the brands and don't be afraid to ask the stupid questions but make sure you get someone who knows their stuff rather then quoting back to you what's written on the outside of the box

How are you watching the old movies, DVD, streaming, Sky or dare I say video cassette??
And what's your price budget??

Another one here for Sony, Have been using them now for 18 years and would always be my first choice
But having said that it's kind of like mobile phones, again I only use Sony and won't even look at Apple or Samsung

Would agree with Pinoy adventure, up to Power city or Harveys and have a good look at all the brands and don't be afraid to ask the stupid questions but make sure you get someone who knows their stuff rather then quoting back to you what's written on the outside of the box

How are you watching the old movies, DVD, streaming, Sky or dare I say video cassette??
And what's your price budget??
I think sub €700 looking at the price of the Sony that'd be my top limit.

The old movies (and say 70s-80s era TV shows) are a combination of DVD, Virgin and some youtube content.

I think sub €700 looking at the price of the Sony that'd be my top limit.
They'll reduce the price for you. When we got ours, I would have just bought it. My wife wasn't as sure, so the guy kept on reducing the price. He reduced it 3 times to convince my wife to buy it.

there is a Sony Bravia in Power City I will probably end up getting ...
looks like a decent option. Plenty of connectivity and both a Saorview and satellite tuner. 5 year parts and labour warranty also. If I were buying a TV today it would probably be that one, and from Power City too as I've always found them good to deal with. With their multibuy online discount it seems one could lob in something like this for free.

Last edited:
Had a quick look at two TVs, the Sony KD43X81JU €679 both PC & HN and the KD43X89JU €749 in HN only (I think)
Both seem to be good choices with lots of good reviews for both screen and sound
But if I was to choose one I'd go for the X89JU simply for the 100 hz refresh rate
You generally won' see a difference between the two watching normal TV programmes but it might make a difference to picture quality when watching fast moving films and sport
Is it worth the extra €80 ??

Definitely go to both PC and HN and see which will give you the better deal and don't be afraid to mention to either that you've been to the other
I always advise people to ask for a "better price" or a "better deal" as most times you generally do end up with one

Couple of things
Don't know how old your current TV is but the screens now are highly reflective compared to TVs from the noughties
so you might have to think where is the best place to install the TV so as to avoid window or light reflection

The DVD player you have is it up scalable to 4K or 1080p or is it just a SD??
I mention this anecdotally that when I got my current 4K TV my DVD player was also 4K player and had no issues with playing SD DVDs
but my Sky Q was in SD and the picture quality was less than perfect so much so I stopped watching Eurosport because the picture was so bad
But once I subscribed to Sky HD it was like my cataracts had just been lasered ;)
So you might need also to look at your DVD player??

Had a quick look at two TVs, the Sony KD43X81JU €679 both PC & HN and the KD43X89JU €749 in HN only (I think)
Both seem to be good choices with lots of good reviews for both screen and sound
But if I was to choose one I'd go for the X89JU simply for the 100 hz refresh rate
You generally won' see a difference between the two watching normal TV programmes but it might make a difference to picture quality when watching fast moving films and sport
Is it worth the extra €80 ??

Definitely go to both PC and HN and see which will give you the better deal and don't be afraid to mention to either that you've been to the other
I always advise people to ask for a "better price" or a "better deal" as most times you generally do end up with one

Couple of things
Don't know how old your current TV is but the screens now are highly reflective compared to TVs from the noughties
so you might have to think where is the best place to install the TV so as to avoid window or light reflection

The DVD player you have is it up scalable to 4K or 1080p or is it just a SD??
I mention this anecdotally that when I got my current 4K TV my DVD player was also 4K player and had no issues with playing SD DVDs
but my Sky Q was in SD and the picture quality was less than perfect so much so I stopped watching Eurosport because the picture was so bad
But once I subscribed to Sky HD it was like my cataracts had just been lasered ;)
So you might need also to look at your DVD player??
Thanks for the info... the room is very bright mornings through lunchtime but not when we will be doing majority of our viewing.

I'd say the KD43X81JU will do the job as we wouldn't watch enough of those types of programmes to warrant extra spec\cost.

Yes I think I will need to upgrade the DVD player also, it is just SD. Whereas things were much more standalone now you need to align your devices.

I think there is a Composite video input and you should be able to get a scart lead to fit should you want to

I think there is a Composite video input and you should be able to get a scart lead to fit should you want to
Good spot, it has composite. Another reason to pick that model it also has good number of HDMI and USB inputs which I like.

A new blu-ray player is probably not much more expensive than a scart -> composite cable. And all in all, less hassle and much better quaility.

A new blu-ray player is probably not much more expensive than a scart -> composite cable. And all in all, less hassle and much better quaility.
Would agree totally, my current Sony Blueray only cost me €20 in DID got it through a cash back offer they were doing at the time
but the composite scart lead can also be used on VCRs and depending on type of lead can also be used on some of the old video cameras

Back