New to Growing your own - what to plant now?

Odea

I have dug out a patch of grass in the garden last autumn. I am going to start growing some vegetables. Anyone recommend a few different vegetables that are simple to grow and that I could start straight away.
I could start with growing some seeds on a warm window sill before planting out.
I would also like to know if it is possible to get some trays of vegetable plants already started that can go directly in to the ground and might be ready to harvest by the summer?

Have a look at
It is a month by month calendar for GIY.
The rest of the site has a wealth of information too!

I would also like to know if it is possible to get some trays of vegetable plants already started that can go directly in to the ground and might be ready to harvest by the summer?
Most veggies can be planted from seed and harvested in the same year...
Buying pre planted trays would be 'expensive' and most wouldn't be available till later in the growing year.
A pack of seeds planted at the right time this year will provide you with your own trays ready to plant out when appropriate.
Homebase usually have an abundance of used plastic trays at the checkouts that they give away FOC (it costs too much to dump them!).
HTH

I am going to start growing some vegetables. Anyone recommend a few different vegetables that are simple to grow and that I could start straight
plant a MAN

you could plant garlic now - should already be down, as it does like a nice frost to get itself going. I would recommend putting the cloves in the fridge for a day or two before starting to plant out.

I am going to start growing some vegetables. Anyone recommend a few different vegetables that are simple to grow and that I could start straight
plant a MAN

As a man I should object to this, but I'm too busy cracking up laughing! :D

You could start out with some spuds. (Either in garden or in a planter)These can be "chitted" ie kept in a dark place until they start to sprout. Remove all but one of the sprouted roots before planting. Plant a variety you like. they are ideal for old buckets or bins. There are lots of early varieties. Personally I love Maris Pipers, but they are a later variety.Check out BBC gardening online . It's a great resource. Garlic is good as the other poster mentioned. On the windowsill you could try some coriander, ( I love it), and it can be planted out in Summer. Radishes are pretty hardy too, ( start em indoors/grow indoors) and are ready to eat very quickly. You could also try spring onions, again many varieties and will need lots of heat to kick them off. For fun, ( or if you have kids) you can grown peanuts on the sill. Sandy soil is ideal, and they are a small plant.

I grew courgettes last year. You can plant the seeds indoors from March and then plant out but make sure that the ground is heavily fertilised/manured and keeping feeding regulary and you will have a continuous supply of them.

Back