New Tarmac and Weeds coming up.

Coolaboy

Got my house tar macked 2 weeks ago by reputable firm. Last week i saw a lump rising through it and this morning i see a green leaf coming up. I am raging. Just after ringing the contractor and his phone is off. What will the contractor do to solve this promblem? What will he do to stop it happening again?

Maybe the contractor didn't dig out enough or pack enough hardcore. I now have to spray regularly to stop these volcanoes of dandelions coming through. I use Roundup but have been told that it can soften the tar. There is somethin called Weed Wipe that works better but I haven't tried it yet. If using Roundup, you have to wait until there is some leaf for the spray to work.

Try ringing again on Tuesday - holiday for construction workers finishes then. Otherwise ring from a different phone - if you think he is trying to dodge you.

Got my house tar macked 2 weeks ago by reputable firm. Last week i saw a lump rising through it and this morning i see a green leaf coming up. I am raging. Just after ringing the contractor and his phone is off. What will the contractor do to solve this promblem? What will he do to stop it happening again?

Ok. What happened here is the contractor didn't put enough coverage of tar on. He needs to have 3-4 inches of tarmac to stop any weeds from coming through. What exactly happens is if its less than 3 inches the light penetrates through the tar and the weed progress from the light of the sun.

Its been well know that the traveling community use 2 inches hence the cheaper price. was it a case that the job was done by the traveling community?

Ok. What happened here is the contractor didn't put enough coverage of tar on. He needs to have 3-4 inches of tarmac to stop any weeds from coming through. What exactly happens is if its less than 3 inches the light penetrates through the tar and the weed progress from the light of the sun.

Its been well know that the traveling community use 2 inches hence the cheaper price. was it a case that the job was done by the traveling community?

Your going to pay heavily for 3 to 4 " of blacktop, and not many domestic driveways will have these depths. Typically 50 to 60mm would actually be the norm (and yes, reputable companies such as roadstone would typically lay this depth). The best advice for good practice, is to spray, spray and spray more in the weeks preceding the blacktop going down, providing of course the underlaying layer is of decent quality.

No, was done by traveling community But they haunted me for weeks for the job. Ended up telling them to leave my house and told them if they were seen around my house again, I would ring the guards. Anyway the company rang me back, asked me to put some neat weed killer on it and they would fix the affected area.

No, was done by traveling community But they haunted me for weeks for the job. Ended up telling them to leave my house and told them if they were seen around my house again, I would ring the guards. Anyway the company rang me back, asked me to put some neat weed killer on it and they would fix the affected area.
Strange! Probably hanging for time to see if the shoot has any siblings.

Your going to pay heavily for 3 to 4 " of blacktop, and not many domestic driveways will have these depths. Typically 50 to 60mm would actually be the norm (and yes, reputable companies such as roadstone would typically lay this depth). The best advice for good practice, is to spray, spray and spray more in the weeks preceding the blacktop going down, providing of course the underlaying layer is of decent quality.

We have our drive tarmac 4 years now and never once had to use any spray, spray and spray. I know that contractor used 3-4 inches of tar as I watched him dig out the drive to this dept before laying anything.

We have our drive tarmac 4 years now and never once had to use any spray, spray and spray. I know that contractor used 3-4 inches of tar as I watched him dig out the drive to this dept before laying anything.

Sorry John Joe, may be I wasn't clear - but the spraying is to be done in weeks preceeding the blacktop being laid. And yes 3 to 4 " is naturally better than 2"...what I'm saying is if you have a decent well compacted hardcore base topped of with 2" of well compacted blinding, that 2" of tarmac on top of this will suffice most situations.

Back