New Semi-ds & Soundproofing

Leesider32

Hi all,

Potentially looking at buying a new 4 bed semi but slightly concerned about soundproofing. The layout is good in that most of the adjoining space is for the stairs and bathroom, however 1 bedroom and the dining room do adjoin.

Am I allowed ask about the quality of certain developers in this area on this forum?

Thanks, the developer is Ruden Homes, know the name but haven't heard too much about them.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the houses they build particularly in relation to soundproofing in semi-ds?

I moved out of one of their older homes built early 2000's due to terrible sound insulation between semi-ds. It was the only reason we moved. You could hear normal conversation, people walking, doors closing, phones ringing. It was more like a house share than owning your own home.

It wasn't just us, when I mentioned the problem to the builder he tried to fob it off as being a problem with no carpets on stairs - it was clear we weren't the only ones complaining. I vaguely remember in one pair of semis the builders might have been persuaded to add extra sound insulation to the wall.

Since then standards have improved, effectively completely different houses now, they'll have different staff, materials, designs. But I'd never trust a semi-d from anyone again.

Thanks for the response overattached

But to flip the question anyone come across developers that are actually good at this especially in the Cork area?

The one thing I like about the semi-ds being built now is the layout is a lot better as mentioned earlier.

I completed an epic job myself, on a semi D, you could hear the neighbours in their ensuite, hear their text pings etc.. after many years and tenants there, it was time to sort it! estimate of cost including a bit of help with the labour and carrying up the sheets of plasterboard around a grand for one room. Rock solid job!!! 1m X 1m squares of italian made soundproofing tiles, and a triple layer of plasterboard - acoustic (really dense), then regular 12mm, then a final layer of acoustic. Very important to vary the layers *as it deters the soundwaves that bit more), stagger the joints too. Plenty of tubes of acoustic sealant and any gap no matter how tiny was filled. massive gaps in the corners, easily 2 inch gaps where plasterboard was not meeting, sloppy work, these gaps let in huge sound too, but notwithstanding that having a few sheets of ply, some insulation and one standard sheet of plasterboard on either house does not make for any level of sound prevention. Super job, happy to email photos. We only did one room, if I still lived there I'd do the whole lot - well worth it for sleep and just general peace. One thing we didn't tackle was the floor, this can be another big source of soundwaves entering, took a chance on this and it was ok. Skim coat, fresh paint, carpet trimmed back and new skirting all done, 2 days total. loss of approx 5 inches floor width. small sacrafice. Builders only now really starting to take sound proofing into consideration - unless it's a private build and this is a specific ask, there is a huge array of materials for walls, floors etc. Acoustic glazing also helped us, fractionally but again worth the install. Was in the house recently, new people bought next door, lots of clattering late at night downstairs as they're doing work, would defo ask them to go half if too was living there. Money well spent.

Last edited:
Is this not dictated by building standard rather than builder?
Building standards dictate minimums, they focus more on thermal issues. They mention performance targets, but I've never heard of regular tasting to those standards.

Back