New RTE programme "Burnt by the Sun" - Part 2 will be on Monday 18 May

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, (ho ho!) none has ever been granted. There is an obscure case knocking around the back of my memory bank where the High Court refused to accept a case lodged by an anonymous plaintiff and required the plaintiff to identify himself to the Court.

However, the Irish courts certainly have the power to grant such an injunction. The Courts have held that the Irish Constitution inherently grants them "whatever powers they require" to ensure the administration of justice. This is pretty unlimited (and somewhat self-serving) but, hey, they're the guys making the rules!

Some more details on episode 2 at http://www.diarmaidcondon.com/burnt-by-the-sun-episode-2/

One agent conspicuous by their absence.

In fairness it was great tv, irish people bearing all about their financial mistakes, its not something we are very good at. The usual strategy is dont talk about it and pretend it never happened.

Or blame others and take NO responsibility yourself.

A point of view I agree with in almost all things, we celebrate stories where those that can blame somebody other than themselves do so rather than accept responsibility themselves, any responsibility.

The first episode showed a lady that met the criteria to be supported by the state agencies for a home, she then at some point paid off the local authority ( where she had super equity ) and remortgaged to buy her home in the Sun, some lauded her for her bravery no one called out how naive she was, she is older and I hope wiser now.

Personal responsibility is in short supply generally but can make for good TV.

A point of view I agree with in almost all things, we celebrate stories where those that can blame somebody other than themselves do so rather than accept responsibility themselves, any responsibility.

The first episode showed a lady that met the criteria to be supported by the state agencies for a home, she then at some point paid off the local authority ( where she had super equity ) and remortgaged to buy her home in the Sun, some lauded her for her bravery no one called out how naive she was, she is older and I hope wiser now.

Personal responsibility is in short supply generally but can make for good TV.

How right you are Palerider - Not only did I buy a holiday home in Spain, I bought a haggart of Eircom shares also, and couldn't get enough of them. No point in being a fool; be a big fool. But, it is with the Eircom shares I feel a bigger fool. I couldn't holiday with those.

My observation is that holiday homes rarely turn out to be a good investment. If you can afford the place and it makes sense for non-financial reasons, then more power to you. But more often than not it turns out to be a pain in the proverbial.

Anyone mentioning specific companies needs their head examined (with an MRI).

That is brilliant. I had missed that at the time.

Those guys threatened me with legal proceedings over discussions of McAnthony Real Estate, so we had to be very careful which is not easy on a forum.

Brendan

Reading Dermot Condon's description of Programme 2 brings back all the hassle the discussion of overseas property caused us.

Ciarán Maguire was another guy who threatened us with legal action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOGRib6gXU

A couple of years ago, some guy contacted me to say that his son and his friends were Googling their dads and the son was very embarrassed by what they found on Askaboutmoney. The guy claimed to have been defrauded by his partner. He asked me very nicely to remove it as it was over 10 years old. I can't remember who it was. Anyway, in the context of the right to be forgotten, I deleted it.

Brendan

Thanks for the YouTube link Brendan, really enjoyed that....no obvious comments other than that...well maybe one...who do I make the Cheque out to, I’ll leave the amount blank, I’m all in.

A couple of years ago, some guy contacted me to say that his son and his friends were Googling their dads and the son was very embarrassed by what they found on Askaboutmoney.
that happens alot actually if you google something financial a reference or a discussion from askaboutmoney pops up.

No explanation yet by RTE of why they did not shoe episode 2 last week and when they are going to show it ?

Reply to a query on 9th April by @RTEplayer:

Thanks for getting in touch. Burnt By the Sun was not broadcast on the 6th of April, and so is not currently available on the RTÉ Player. It is scheduled to be broadcast next month.

Cape Verde, eh? Remind me again, some high profile guy, it's, ah, on the tip of my tongue, who was it?????

I'm not perfect, but I did put the leg work in...

Hopefully others will learn from what I and other investors have experienced in France.

While I'm involved in a well located, well constructed, commercial property, many others bought apartments in poor locations, and even wooden chalets in the countryside, or in large parks, they are the ones I would really be worried about.

There's been widespread issues with the entire sale and leaseback model in France, dozens of companies having collapsed, investors left with half built properties, no tenants and no recourse despite so called rent guarantees, and despite years of negative publicity, the French government has done little to put an end to some of the shabby practices taking place.

If I can offer one brief warning to anyone reading this post, it's simple - never do business in France, as either the culture or the legal system, will drive you nuts.
I disagree with you. Because if you’d bought a commercial property in Ireland and had similar tenants you’d be no better off as regards the legal situation in Ireland.

As regards holiday homes, wasn’t there a massive government incentive to buy section 35 I think they were called holidays homes in Ballygobackwards. They went into NE and couldn’t be rented out for much of the year.

France is more complicated for Irish people due to language issues. I agree with you on the French leaseback being a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back