New Rent to Buy Scheme between IMHO and AIB

I guarantee you the LA will have the maintenance to cover on these houses. The scheme is so generous elsewhere, I'd be shocked if they didn't.

And isn't it going to be much more than 10%? Hall yesterday said he wouldn't disclose the rate as it was commercially sensitive but that to me just confirms that it's much greater.
Brendan mentioned 40% above and that some LA's have discounted houses by up to 60%.

Why is there a discount at all?

The published terms of the Department's MTR scheme simply provide that: "Households can buy out the property at open market value after a period of 5 years".

I've no problem with that but why does this scheme include an option to repurchase the property at a discount to today's market value at any time over the next 28 years? It just doesn't make sense.

And on what terms is this scheme being financed? This is a public housing initiative so I think we are entitled to know the terms of the deal. We're paying for it after all.

So AIB have decided that there are hundreds of individual loans on their balance sheet that are non-performing and which they have no effective recourse to; are a blight on their balance sheet and should be repackaged and effectively sold to one borrower. Enter taxpayer-supported solution; i-Care.

Result – AIB’s bad debt issue is resolved and instead of having hundreds of non-performing loans, it has one single triple-A, low-risk, performing loan.

AIB avoids costly repossession proceedings and also the avoids becoming a landlord with the associated costs and headaches.

i-Care gain ownership of the houses and the associated rent roll, which presumably is the backing for the loan provided by AIB.

Home owner becomes a tenant and i-Care becomes a landlord.

Even leaving aside the ridiculous buy-back option, the potential issues now associated with this new arrangement are wide-ranging:

• Who pays for maintenance and upkeep of the property?
  • Who pays for insurance, management fees, property tax, water rates or any future property-based taxes?
  • What rights does the tenant have to paint and decorate, renovate or extend?
  • What happens when the tenant gets into arrears?
  • What happens when the family unit today changes over the coming years and the “4 bed, family home” is occupied by a single individual?
  • What happens in 28 years when the 40 year old homeowner (now) turns 68 years of age and hasn’t bought out the property? Is there anyone who expects that a 68 year old, or their adult-children will be evicted?

And where does i-Care get its funding from?

• 40% comes from the taxpayer (figure of €100m previously quoted)
  • 60% comes from AIB and is backed by the hundreds of homes and corresponding rent roll

The State are now going to spend €100m to solve a housing problem that doesn’t exist today.
  • The borrowers currently have access to housing.
  • The borrowers do not face any realistic prospect of any change to those circumstances.
  • If the borrowers are expected to pay a level of rent under the new i-Care regime, then by paying a similar amount to AIB they would demonstrate to any judge a willingness to engage, thereby avoiding the prospect of an adverse judgement in court proceedings.

One’s personal views of the State’s responsibility to provide social housing is entirely irrelevant in this specific situation.

What is happening here is the transfer of wealth from the State to the private sector (AIB).

The problem here is with AIB and therefore it is theirs and theirs alone to solve.

They should either enforce their rights under the affected mortgages or write off the debts.

Passing the problem on to the State should not be an option.

In the unlikely event that they are successful in repossessing any property, then and only then does the problem lie with the State.

When that happens, those affected join the housing list, the same as everyone else.

By providing this safety net, any responsibility on the part of AIB and the borrower to find a solution is removed.

So the next time there is a demand for €5m or €20m or €100m from some sector of society to fix a problem and the response is that the funding is not available; the reason is because that funding was given to AIB instead to solve a problem that did not exist.

Brilliant post avantarlaku. Well put.
Should be sent to every media organisation in this country

Last edited:
This was just discussed on the Pat Kenny show with his panel covering the week's events.

Stephen Donnelly (now of FF, previously Soc Dem and before that Independent) is all for Halls new scheme. It's a great idea and something that he and Michael McGrath and David Hall have been calling for for years. It should have been done years ago.
Sinead O'Carroll of The Journal is all for it too.
Gary Gannon (Councillor with Soc Dems) is another great supporter of the plan. His only question is whether there's an option for the children to buy the house at a later stage as 'the current owners will never be in a position to get a mortgage again or afford to buy back the house'

Kenny did point out that the option to but the house in the future at today's price was very a favourable proposition. But no one seemed interested in that

I think the writing is on the wall here. The Banks have decided it is not commercially viable to hold these properties, nor is it possible to repossess them.

If the Govt want more competition in the banking sector they are going about it all wrong, what bank in its right mind will enter a market were you provide a mortgage, can't get paid and can't repossess the house.

We will be back to the old days were you had three main banks with the line share of the market, wait and see bank fees going up and up and up, sure why not, where else can you bank.

At the Oireachtas Finance Committee meeting today, AIB gave the following figures:
325 people have filled out the questionnaire

50 of these have been deemed suitable.

Brendan

Can I ask for opinions please?
If a court has granted order of possession with a 1 month stay (back in Dec 2016) and you receive a letter from AIB out of the blue (last week) inviting you to call them to discuss this Mortgage to Rent "initiative", would you? Or was this just a generic letter sent to a "list of people" on their bad books?
Just to be clear.... the order of possession was granted by the court in Dec 2016, there has been no contact from the bank, their solicitors, a sheriff/bailiff, the courts....... nobody since receiving the above possession letter.

Back