new registration for rooms in RPZ?

Gervan

I've been reading of new rules coming into force today, regarding letting out rooms.
I own my own house, (in RPZ), live there full time, and was considering letting one room to a student. If all goes well he would b here for 3 years.
Do I really have to register with the council as a landlord, when I am not one?

The Rent-a-Room relief refers to the tax position.
My query was about the requirement to register with the council. According to the FAQ on the new regulations, as a homesharer I would be exempt from the new planning requirements, but still required to complete Form 15 and register with the city council.
I am not sure this has been made clear to homesharers. It's like the NPPR: understanding we were exempt we didn't realise we still had to prove it! Homesharers who find out later they were supposed to have registered might find themselves facing a penalty.

If you homeshare your principal private residence in a rent pressure zone and wish to avail of the new planning exemptions, you will need to register this with your local authority and fulfil specified reporting obligations
Generally, less serious offences under the Planning Acts (which will apply in the case non-compliance with the short term letting arrangements) carry a maximum penalty of €5,000 or 6 months imprisonment or both.

According to news reports last week there is no need to register for rent a room as private homes are unaffected by the new restrictions, but you must declare to revenue even though it is tax free up to 14k

Look at this [broken link removed]on the RTB website. If you let your room to a student you may be creating a licensee, rather than a tenant.

The Residential Tenancies Act would not apply in this case.

The wording on the RTB website is very heavily caveated about the difference between the two.

The Rent-a-Room relief refers to the tax position.
My query was about the requirement to register with the council.

The new regulations refer to short term lettings, defined as 'any period not exceeding 14 days'.

I know that I as a homesharer would be exempt from the new regulations.
The fact remains that homesharers have to register with the council to avail of that exemption, according to the FAQ sheet issued.

Unless you are home sharing on a short term basis, less than 14 days, I dont think you have to register.

Unless you are home sharing on a short term basis, less than 14 days, I dont think you have to register.
That's not what the information from the Department, Planning and Local Government says.

"Homesharing (the letting of a room or rooms in a person’s principal private residence) will continue to be permissible on an unrestricted basis and be exempted from the new planning requirements. "

"If you homeshare your principal private residence in a rent pressure zone and wish to avail of the new planning exemptions, you will need to register this with your local authority and fulfil specified reporting obligations. "

@Gervan

Read the link that you posted carefully. It says that short-term letting is when you share your house for less than 14 days at a time.

You're not doing this. The regulations don't apply in your circumstances.

Back