New product - how to approach manufacturers?

Lobby

Hi,

I've d eve loped a new product, related to iPad and similar products, with the aid of a government research grant.

The next step is to take the cad drawings and go ahead and manufacture the product.

2 options, go to Chinese companies and have it done directly, but as I've no experience of this I'm somewhat reluctant to go this route.

Second option is to approach a manufacturer already in this area and try to work with them to bring the product to Market. However, on legal advice the product cannot be patented, so what's to stop a manufacturer having a look at my design and then saying thank you and going off and developing it themselves. Or, from their point of view, say they have also been working on something similar, then me turning up with my design would cause them problems as I could claim they stole my idea. So both of us need protection.

Anyone any suggestions on how to approach this?

Speaking as a manufacturer, We're mostly concerned with producing products for someone else to worry about the marketing etc, I'm more concerned with making your parts and making my sale into your inventory than sweating over the smaller incremental sales. Get a lawyer and develop a non-disclosure agreement before approaching manufacturers.

The Chinese will sure as heck copy your product. And the agent you work with will sub contract it to death to make as much money as possible. You'll also receive a container of product that will most likely have quality issues that you'll need a local company to fix.

I don't get how the government hands out a development grant for something that is already in the market, and can then be farmed out to the Chinese.

Irish manufacturing needs work. Adding value to raw materials is the healthiest thing for the Irish economy, good luck with your project.

I don't get how the government hands out a development grant for something that is already in the market, and can then be farmed out to the Chinese.

It's not already in the market, its just not considered to be a new development that warrants a patent. But, and this bit I was surprised at, it was Enterprise Ireland that suggested that the product might be manufactured cheaper in China.

What sort of manufacturing are you involved in? PM me and maybe we can speak offline.

Lobby,

With the best will in the world this makes no sense.

You have no manufacturing base, your product cannot be patented, therefore you will not last long before you are copied, undercut (if it is good) and you cannot pay for your orders.

Can you not trademark the product?

ONQ.

IIRS, Forbairt, Enterprise Ireland..... whatever they call it now, it's small business in Ireland that needs help, not just a handful of clever entrepreneurs.

We pulled our manufacturing out of Ireland in 2003, costs were already out of control. I'm in the US now.

Lobby,

With the best will in the world this makes no sense.

You have no manufacturing base, your product cannot be patented, therefore you will not last long before you are copied, undercut (if it is good) and you cannot pay for your orders.

Can you not trademark the product?

ONQ.

I agree with you, theres a substabtial risk. But it also applies to all other manufacturers in the same space, there's no patents on any similar products. Mine is different, and hopefully different enough to make it stand out.

My plan is to approach a manufacturer in this area already and maybe licence the product (maybe a bit optimistic, but worth a try).

I have the brand name registered, and would hope that with the right manufacturer (with the necessary distribution network) it should be feasible.

There's 70 million iPads out there, only 0.05% penetration would break even.

IIRS, Forbairt, Enterprise Ireland..... whatever they call it now, it's small business in Ireland that needs help, not just a handful of clever entrepreneurs.

We pulled our manufacturing out of Ireland in 2003, costs were already out of control. I'm in the US now.

Tell me about it, I'm already an estate agent (don't hold that against me - my background is telecoms, moved into auctioneering to get out of Dublin and take over my parents business when they retired) and I've rejigged the business to cut costs, the most significant costs remaining are all to the state (rates, licence fees etc.).

futuradesign.ie , i chatted with them before, good guys, charge a fee and locate manufacturers for you providing info on design etc

Back