New Petrol Lawnmower for small back garden, budget €200.

cullenswood

Hi,

I am about to buy a new petrol lawnmower for a small back garden.

Budget is less than €200 as the garden is quite small so no need for an expensive mower.

I was looking at one of these four and was wondering if anyone had an opinion or other options.

It would have to be relatively light as I have to carry it through the house to get to the front lawn.

Thanks

Dont know why you would want a petrol one in particular? I use a McCullugh electric mower. I also tend to carry thro the house and it's nice and light. It's nearly 15 yrs old, and its going great. When I need to change it will be another McCullugh electric one for me.

Have an electric cylinder mower alright, but I find that (with two small kids!) I dont get the time to cut it often enough, so when I do the grass is a bit long and the cylinder mower does not cut it that well

Totally agree with Horusd regarding petrol versus electric. Especially if you've only got a small urban garden and no side access.

Try this...

I bought this same model from 4Homes (not branded Bosch, Qualcast I think... but exactly the same model anyway).

Picks up well and is very light. Highly recommend it.

Having said that, I can't wait 'till I get enough space to require a ride on........ :D

I dont like the electric lawn mower. I have used a few Flymo's and the frames are very weak and bend and break easily.

This [broken link removed] with a Briggs and Stratton engine might do the job (but it won't be light). Petrol movers are heavy and awkward to carry.

My vote for electric too. I've got a Qualcast Electric, 1700W about 8 yrs. its similar to the Bosch Rotak 43 electric rotary lawnmower. (mains not battery) 1700W 43cm blade. On big gardens with very tall grass where its been neglected, it might take 2 or 3 cuts to get down. But it does cut it. After that it cuts the garden just fine. This is probably the most powerful electric mower you can get easily. I wouldn't bother with a smaller one unless your garden is tiny. B&Q sell these.

We've had cheap petrol mowers, in other houses, and they are dire. Avoid cheap petrol models and spend a good bit more for a decent petrol mower.

The electric mower is light, compact, no mess, and easy to drop in the car if you want the blade sharpened and don't want to take it off yourself. You have to get a petrol one serviced, get petrol, check oil etc. Spark pugs, cord to start etc. Bigger to store. Less to go wrong on an electric. But get a trip switch for one. We got an outside socket fitted and its just so handy. If I could find a self power electric I'd get one. Don't seem to do one though.

Petrol or Electric is doesn't matter. Cylinder mowers struggle with tall grass. A rotary is much better for that.

thanks for all the advice. think I will go for a 1700w electric. seems sensible for a garden my size.

I dont like the electric lawn mower. I have used a few Flymo's and the frames are very weak and bend and break easily.

My neighbour has one of those. It's banjaxed after only a few yrs while my McCullough is still going strong. I would never buy a Flymo.

I've only used a small old flymo. Wasn't impressed with it. Dunno about new ones. Seem very plasticy.

lawnmower - manual?

I thought it was the carrying through the house part that was important, in which case the manual is perfect. It's light enough to carry with one hand.

It wouldn't be great with very long grass though.

Sorry I missed the carrying part completely.

You're not doing to carry a petrol mower. Apart from anything there's fluids in it, that will spill.

The 1700w mower I mentioned is not light, its a medium weight I would say. Most people could lift it into a car boot unaided no problem. Carrying through a house would be a little awkward, mainly because of the shape rather than the weight.

Personally I think you cant beat a battery one for a small garden, have been using them for nearly 15 yrs and am only on my second one. First one was a Flymo, was more like a fisher price toy, could pick it up with one hand, fantastic little machine. I now have one I got in Woodies couple of years ago, much stronger machine, quick charge battery and will deal with longer grass. No leads and no petrol.

We've had cheap petrol mowers, in other houses, and they are dire. Avoid cheap petrol models and spend a good bit more for a decent petrol mower.

You have to get a petrol one serviced, get petrol, check oil etc. Spark pugs, cord to start etc. Bigger to store. Less to go wrong on an electric. But get a trip switch for one. We got an outside socket fitted and its just so handy. If I could find a self power electric I'd get one. Don't seem to do one though.

a bit OTT here my friend, we have a Honda petrol mower. Cost us 400 EUR. Checking the oil takes 2 seconds, getting petrol takes 15 mins once a month at best. Had it serviced once in 8 years - cost 50 EUR. and we have an outside socket too. Ours is not too heavy to carry through a house. My father has a self drive mower and its very heavy to carry.

Agree with you on avoiding a cheap petrol one.

I have never really heard of a battery one? How long does it take to charge? How long does the charge last?

In answer to the questions above I need it to be light and to cut relatively long grass (as sometimes I dont get the time to cut my garden as much as possible).

The cylinder lawnmower was letting me down on this count, and re the 1700W being to heavy/awkward to get through the house I have managed my Dads very heavy petrol lawnmower on a number of occasions so am thinking that an electric one would be a piece of cake after that. I am beginning to value my back more and more and carry my Dads mower does not do it any favours!

My first battery one was a Flymo, battery was left on constant charge, lasted a good half hour of cutting, was as light as a feather. Had it for maybe 13 yrs or so, had to buy new battery once, loved it. It was not great for long grass though if I left the grass a while so I would have to do 2 cuts, one at higher level and then lower one.

It gave up couple of years ago so I bought new one in Woodies, it is a Bosch, much stronger machine than the Flymo, longish grass not a problem to it. Bigger sturdier machine but still would not consider it heavy, battery does not need to be constantly on charge and takes about 20/30 mins to charge, this has never run out on me yet so not sure how long it lasts. Don't really know what area my garden is, have bungalow on 100x50ft site approx, have grass to one side and halfway across front garden but also live on a corner so have 100x100x3ft (house next door vacant) of grass strip on path to cut, this actually takes longer than my garden! Hate it. Had an electric one originally but my trees grew too tall to run the extension cord around them to do the path.

Can't remember what it cost, I know I got it well reduced at end of season because apparently there is no demand for battery mowers!

Back