New Passat

practitioner

HI, has anybody any experience re new Passat 1.6 115 BHP?...I am not prepared to take hit with VRT/Insurance/tax at 1.9 level and don't do enough driving to justify same.

Wouldn't imagine that a 1.6 would give much poke in a car that size. What about the new Bora, which has a huge boot?

hi,

I'm picking up my new 1.6 next week - was very impressed with it on test drives - it's a six speed with good power in the low ranges - it's approx 10 bhp stronger than my current 1.6 passat and I've never had any problems with that.

Will let you know next week how we get on.

btw - if you're trading in make sure you shop around - we got an extra 1060 on trade in on 2003 passat from one vw dealer to another in dublin !!

It's slow, otherwise pretty good. Not cheap by any means. The base 1.6 isn't imported in many other countries as it's too underpowered.

People forget what Volkswagen means, and I think their effort to move upmarket is squeezing Audi (same owners) which just doesn't add up.

I know you say you won't take the tax and insurance hits of a 1.9 or 2.0

But at least test drive them just to see the difference.

Anytime I have driven a 1.6 that size they have felt very underpowered, and when it comes to sell or change the diesel will sell a lot easier than a 1.6.

Also a 1.6 will probably only return 60% of the MPG of the 1.9 diesel.

Do you really need a passat size?

Do you really need to buy new?

1.6 passat is totally underpowered - you would be well worth spending the extra money on a 1.9 tdi

Back