New or used car?

Unless I win the lottery, which is pretty unlikely given that I don't play it very often, I'll never buy a new car. It's flushing good money down the toilet. At the moment I drive a gorgeous 11 year old barge that drinks petrol and an 8 year old van that sips diesel, and they're serving me just fine. Look after them and they'll look after you.

EDIT: BTW, while Slash's point is correct, there are people selling year and 2 year old cars now, because they didn't think ahead, didn't realise the recession was as bad as it was going to be, or just because they're one of those weirdos that buys a new car every year, "because Jim next door has an 11 and why shouldn't I flush my money down the toilet too?" So from the other point of view, you can pick up a nearly-new car and save that depreciation. Why spend it in the first place, if the car's a good 'un, it's a good 'un. Just make sure it is a good 'un.

Thanks Slim, I think I'll forgo the new car smell and save a few bob. Looking at 2009/10 cars. There seems to be good value out there. I couldn't be bothered going to all the hassle of a UK car, also I heard some horror stories about them.

no need to forgo the new car smell you can buy it for a fiver.

Back