New Nintendo DS

safety1st.co

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a new pink DS for my daughter for her birthday... where is the best place to go for overall deal? Peats/Argos/Dixons/Game??

When I was pricing them a year ago, all the shops you named, plus Smyths were offering good deals if you bought 2 games with the DS. However, some of the deals were quite similar, as they probably all check what each other is doing.

I would say that it is impossible to say who is offering the best deals at any one
moment. Best try them all when you are ready to buy.

Just remember that you can download all the DS games for free these days on the web (sssshhh!!)
So that'll balance any expense ;)

I don't think you can use the homebrew chips, and download the games with the new DS. I would have been very surprised if Nintendo hadn't closed that gap, and I read on either this forum, or another, that the homebrew don't work on the new ones

I know this is a tad off subject however does anyone else think that the camera function on the ds is a bit much for the 4 - 8 year old child using it? There is constant advice being handed out over the airwaves lately regarding mobile pictures so i'm just wondering how parents feel about their 4-8 yr old child having one on their ds.

The new DSI is only availible in black or white.
You can get different colour silicone covers on Amazon.
Homebrew chips don not work on the new DSi

Leitz, I got one for my son this yeay he's 6, he managed it fantastically! So much so that I had to restrict usage..it can be addictive. He played more with the picture options and sound/voice manipulation than actual ds games.
I don't see a problem with kids having them so long as it's used for a sensible about of time and they're not in front of it night, noon and morning.

Cat101, I have no problem with the ds in general. It's just the camera function I would worry about. My niece has the old version and loves it.

Homebrew chips certainly do work on the DSi, you jusst need a new chip as the chip for the DS will not work.

I don't think you can use the homebrew chips, and download the games with the new DS. I would have been very surprised if Nintendo hadn't closed that gap, and I read on either this forum, or another, that the homebrew don't work on the new ones
You just need to download the firmware update

Cat101, I have no problem with the ds in general. It's just the camera function I would worry about. My niece has the old version and loves it.
I don't understand why you would worry about the DSi camera function.
A mobile phone with a camera, Yes, I can understand that concern as kids can receive inappropriate picture messages. I wouldn't allow the wifi option with dsi, my kids just use it to play games..they can connect to one anothers ds consoles from a few yards away from each other without wifi...Innocent, harmless fun.

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a new pink DS for my daughter for her birthday... where is the best place to go for overall deal? Peats/Argos/Dixons/Game??

Some branches of Xtravision currently have them for €99 which is less than I could find online from Irish or UK retailers. The Baggot St. branch had the pink in stock when I was in (unfortunately looking for any colour other than pink).

I don't understand why you would worry about the DSi camera function.
A mobile phone with a camera, Yes, I can understand that concern as kids can receive inappropriate picture messages. I wouldn't allow the wifi option with dsi, my kids just use it to play games..they can connect to one anothers ds consoles from a few yards away from each other without wifi...Innocent, harmless fun.

That clears it up then. You can decide on the wifi function.

The new DSi is available in only black and white if you buy ones in from the US they won't work. I got one as an upgrade to my broken pink ds and there isn't that much extra in it that a child that young would need.
Also on the old DS I was able to download games. Now on the new one I can't due to system upgrade which has been making my ds crash since the start of the month. This is a solution but there is only time before Nintendo do another update to get around illegal downloading again. Given a choice over new or old I would gladly go back to a ds lite.

Back