New MD's salary in AIB

Mars39

am so angry about this. Government cap of €500k for the role of CEO - So AIB changed the title to MD and gave higher salary and government approved it. People should let the bank know how they feel by closing their account with the bank where possible.

So AIB changed the title to MD and gave higher salary and government approved it.

Have the government approved it? Oh the joys of people's reaction to 'media soundbite politics' makes me angry !

It is a joke how they got around it but the Government insisting that they hire an outsider while imposing a €500k salary cap was also a joke.

I'm not condoning it, but he's already on a higher salary with AIB - it's just that his salary is not being cut as a result of the "promotion". Also the government has not approved it yet (see [broken link removed] article). That said, they probably will approve it.

It does appear to be difficult to hire someone qualified for that position with the salary cap in place. I wonder which people would prefer: someone unqualified who would take the €500k a year or someone who would do a good job but would have to be paid more?

If there was a real "cap" on all of the banking sector these people would either have to accept it or take a walk - I don't believe they are the only people capable of running the bank. It might be a great opportunity to get some "new blood" in the system, at the moment it's the same old crowd & we'll have the same old problems.

I honestly don't believe you'd be able to get competent "new blood" in for a salary of €500k a year.

But how "competent" have the old crowd been - that's half the trouble - same old faces same old problems & practices.

I honestly don't believe you'd be able to get competent "new blood" in for a salary of €500k a year.

Never quite got that argument meself - if the leader of the US can manage on less then surely half a million a year should suffice for running a bank in a small country like ours no? Of course those in the industry would like us to believe otherwise!

I think that market forces would shake out good candidates if the salary was at the right level. The fact that we haven't been inundated with good outside candidates leads me to believe that the salary level is a problem. You can't compare it to the US president I don't think. There's a tad more honour and glory attached to that position than Chief Exec of a battered bank in a banana republic....

I can't believe that he is even being considered for the job - he's been on the AIB Board all the way through the creation of this mess. The 500K is more than enough. The problem seems to be that he is currently paid too much and not that the CEO salary is too small.

Some comparisions:
Barclays CEO earns $1.8m - 134,000 employees
BNP Paribas earns $1.5m - 172,000 employees
Credit Agricole $1.2m - 164,000 employees
AIB ???? - 23,000 employees

Come on lads - ye must be using the same rigorous negotiating skills that got us into this mess to settle his salary!

That's just ridiculous. You need some perspective here, €500k is enough for the head of a company with a market capitalisation €1.5bn.

AIB want an internal man for the job and they want to break the salary cap.

Paying top money does not make competent men out of monkeys.

You only have to look at the base salary (just over €500k) of the most successful CEO this country has ever seen, Michael O' Leary. Ryanair is 3 times the market capitalisation of AIB

Also, would you say Brian Cowen was a better minister for finance than Ray MacSharry?

A decade of systematically increasing the pay of politicians, the boards of the banks, RTE broadcasters and top civil servants has done nothing to improve their competency.

I'd venture that if we'd shown a bit of wage constraint over the last 10 years we would still have ended up with the same faces in all these positions. Are we petrified at the remote possibility that they would all be poached by some other country???

As an aside, I'd structure the salary as €250k in cash and €250k in bank shares that would have to be held until at least 5 years after the CEO ultimately left the employment of the company.

That's just ridiculous. You need some perspective here, €500k is enough for the head of a company with a market capitalisation €1.5bn.

I have perspective, thanks.

AIB want an internal man for the job and they want to break the salary cap.

Paying top money does not make competent men out of monkeys.

That's my point - I'd sooner pay more for an outsider who is competent. The worst case is to pay more for an insider. My only two points are (i) if they go with this insider, his current salary is over the €500k mark right now and (ii) if we want an outsider, evidence strongly suggests that the salary needs to be higher.

You only have to look at the base salary (just over €500k) of the most successful CEO this country has ever seen, Michael O' Leary. Ryanair is 3 times the market capitalisation of AIB

And the rest - he's worth a fortune, and rightly so. His total comp (including shares) is massive.

As an aside, I'd structure the salary as €250k in cash and €250k in bank shares that would have to be held until at least 5 years after the CEO ultimately left the employment of the company.

Yeah, we'd all love to do that, but that doesn't seem to be attracting outside candidates, does it? That's the whole point. Why do *you* think that there have been no suitable outside candidates applying for the position?

Why do *you* think that there have been no suitable outside candidates applying for the position?

I, like everyone else here, have no idea of how the selection process has been conducted.

I suspect that AIB have made no real effort to attract external candidates.

People at that level are headhunted, advertising the job is not enough. I'm just not convinced that AIB have retained the services of a recruitment consultant with appropriate experience to approach potential candidates in a targetted manner.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from the outside they seem to be championing their own internal candidate.

PS: What do the asterisks around the word 'you' mean?

Is part of the problem that paying a new CEO would mean that they were earning less than the people who report to them. Earn 500k as CEO or 600-700k as the head of a department, I know which job I would want.

The issue is much broader than the salary of one role, our banks overpay hundreds if not thousands of their staff and are overstaffed in many areas. There are, of course, exceptions.

The mentality that, in Ireland, we must pay the highest salaries in the world or else everyone will all leave is madness. Salary is only one part of peoples choice of where to work and is probably less important than family / work-life balance, friends etc.

I, like everyone else here, have no idea of how the selection process has been conducted.

I suspect that AIB have made no real effort to attract external candidates.

People at that level are headhunted, advertising the job is not enough. I'm just not convinced that AIB have retained the services of a recruitment consultant with appropriate experience to approach potential candidates in a targetted manner.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from the outside they seem to be championing their own internal candidate.

PS: What do the asterisks around the word 'you' mean?

I think that government involvement (in parallel) in the recruitment process might be helpful. I think what is happening now is that AIB does indeed want an internal candidate; it may be that they are less well disposed to external candidates merely because they are external. This is not acceptable (and is, in fact, quite worrying) and, if this is the reason that more external candidates (if they are qualified) have not been put forward to the govnt, then we have a serious problem.

It is certainly in the recruitment consultant's interests to put forward high quality candidates (to get their referral fee, which would be substantial). I don't know what govnt involvement (if any) there was in either picking the recruitment consultant (assuming there even is one) or monitoring the CVs that come in and the quality of the recruitment services provided. I don't know if the recruitment contract has been awarded on an exclusive basis (it shouldn't have been). I don't know if the govnt only gets involved once AIB has screened candidates, which means that AIB may have already discounted otherwise qualified candidates. All that said, AIB is the right body to hire for this position - much as we'd all like to put Michael O'Leary in there, there can be a point at which a candidate that is so objectionable to the existing staff that it becomes counterproductive (if all AIB staff at a certain level decided to up sticks and leave, we'd be in a pickle). The structure of someone having a final veto over a candidate selected by a company is unusual and is bound to lead to problems.

I agree that there's a lot that isn't public about this entire recruitment process, which is a bad thing. We can't all be told all about the potential candidates a la the Ireland soccer manager, but it would be good to get at least a summary of the number of applicants, the general level of qualifications and confirmation from a source outside of AIB if/that the salary level was a blocker for otherwise qualified candidates. Recruitment processes are normally quite private but, in this instance, the post is such an important one, I think there needs to be more transparency.

I still think that this job is a hard sell to someone - it's like taking on the HSE, a thankless task that will be scrutinised by every informed citizen in Ireland. Coupled with a ceiling on the remuneration that can ever be offered for the job, I think it's a hospital pass. I'd dearly love someone external who was qualified and perfect for the position to pipe up and say "I'd do it for €250k a year but they didn't even interview me" - then we'd see exactly how the land lies. There's an interesting point of reference in Forbes relating to executive pay - of the Fortune500 companies, 10 (of 500) CEOs earn less than $600k a year. I am not saying that we shouldn't be able to find someone to do this job notwithstanding the cap, I just think that the cap is restricting us from finding the right, qualified candidate. I work in software and know of CEOs who are running marginally profitable businesses (sometimes not even profitable) with a turnover of $20-50M earning €200k-€250k in base salary (before bonuses). The size and complexity of AIB dwarfs those companies. Like I say, I'm not saying that the position *deserves* such a high salary scale, I just think that market forces are dictating that we can't find quality candidates at that level of salary.

I was heartened to hear Brian L sounding fairly resolute yesterday that the salary cap would not be breached - I hope he sticks to his guns.

PS the asterix is used for emphasis only (as in: here's what *I* think, what do *you* think?)

Now that the €500 k has been accepted by the recipient, surely he would have thought that in the interest of the Bank, its staff, fellow directors and customers, that he would have taken the reduction without the fanfare and scurolous remarks concerning his appointment. He is only a youngish man and it will surely stand to him if he does the job right and becomes a lead figure in helping the country's largest Bank and in fact the country from the mess we are all in..

Are we petrified at the remote possibility that they would all be poached by some other country???

Sure where are they going to go?

Interviewer (in say, China, for a banking job worth €600K): I see from your CV that you used to work for AIB in Ireland.

Irish banking eh ... whizzkid: Yes that's right.

Interviewer: There's the door!

Back