New job but pregnant

HouseBuyer10

I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice.
I work in the public service and I have recently passed an interview for a job at a higher grade and closer to home. I would like to take the job but I have just found out I'm pregnant. The probation period in the new job is 1 year.
Should I let my future employer know I'm pregnant before accepting the new job?
When I go on maternity leave I will still be on probation. What's going to happen when I'm back? How is that normally dealt with by the employer?

Thank you.

You don't need to inform your new employer just yet if you don't wish to. You can book AL for any appointments, but obviously if you inform your employer they are paid leave. See if you can get your hands on an employee handbook, check what notice you need to give for ML, then add two weeks before due date, and that is how far before you finish you are obliged to give notice. I imagine the probation will be paused while you are on leave. Employers are very careful not to discriminate pregnant employees, even though pregnancy is not protected. Maybe check the sick leave policy too in the event that you may need to take time off, though hopefully you won't. Best of luck with your pregnancy and congratulations on the new role.

A public sector colleague of mine recently won promotion just before going on maternity leave. There is no way the public sector will discriminate against you because of your pregnancy. You have the law on your side.
I would accept the post and, in due course, when you're comfortable, inform your employer.
In the civil service, probation is suspended for the duration of your maternity leave. I imagine its the same throughout the public sector but I can't see how this would be held against you in any way.
(See page 10 of [broken link removed])

Congrats on your promotion and on the chance to move closer to home and best of luck with your baby! Exciting times!

I agree with the above. Although if you do have concerns, when notifying your employer of your pregnancy do it in writing. Keep a record of who you informed and when.
If any terms of your employment change thereafter to your detriment, then you have a strong case for discrimination.
Having said that, I would imagine the likelihood of a public sector organisation discriminating against a pregnant woman to be very, very remote.
Relax, take the job, enjoy the pregnancy, new baby et al.

Back