New Job - Baby on the way

WGT

Hi,
Starting a new job on Mon. 6th April. Wife is due to have a baby on the 12th May. Naturally, didn't mention this at the interview. So I'll play it by ear. Do you think I should mention this as soon as I start or would that be a bad move?

Depends on how much time you hope to take off. Is it your first child?

Reason I ask is it your first is because you may need more time off for this as it's new to you both. Also if a c/section is required you will be needed more. Having become a Daddy twice in recent years if a block of time off is not available to you it might be worth staggering it over a few weeks. Even a half day here and there would be good for the mammy to be to get a break.

Yes, it is our first baby. So not the best time to be starting a job. However, the main priority is the health of baby and mother. I guess I'm just going to have to play it by ear. I don't want to lie, by ringing in sick etc.

Hope it goes well for you.

I assume theres no HR policy in place to over this? Some places give a couple of days paternity leave, but they don't have to by law. You are entitled to unpaid parental leave. With the exception of the birth, you'll probably find you don't need to take time off while the're in hospital, and it more useful to have a bit of time off when the baby comes home.

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=20&docID=-1

Shouldn't take sick leave, but unpaid leave or annual holiday leave if you need to. Save your sick leave for when you actually need it. Babies and kids tend to pass things on to the parents, and when you are tired and run down, you catch things easier.

Mention it straight away so it does not play on your mind. You have better things to think about!

Most employers would be sympathetic and often have a policy for paternity. If not a week unpaid leave will be money well spent IMO.

I would not mention this until I had got the feel of the job and the general ethos in the company to family and work/life balance. Remember this baby could arrive anytime between May first and June first. If it is the latter you have plenty of time to plan your approach.

BTW rope in all the family offers of help at the early stages and you may have some time off built up to give partner a dig out when the novelty has worn for the others

Once the baby arrives you will want to tell everybody anyway, even people sitting across from you on the DART.

Back