New IT Business

I have recently set up an IT services company . My services include web development and online classifieds currently

i would expand to other areas like IT resourcing and software dev,maintainance.

if you need any help to set up company let me know. i can give details whom i have used. also if u want to register domain name and website development.

u can visit [broken link removed]

Let us know how you get on with calling the SMEs. One thing to be careful of, some people will tell you what they think you want to hear. Treat a few of the calls as sales calls, like you want to actually sell them something.

Will do

I would say its never a good idea to cut off one revenue stream before you've established the one that replacing it.

In an ideal world yes, clearly I will not be able to match my current wage immediatly but maybe taking this on part time may be something that I will look into more seriously, or possibly taking on a part time evening job to pay the bills

I have recently set up an IT services company . My services include web development and online classifieds currently

i would expand to other areas like IT resourcing and software dev,maintainance.

if you need any help to set up company let me know. i can give details whom i have used. also if u want to register domain name and website development.

u can visit [broken link removed]

Typo above, New link: [broken link removed]

Is this a full time business that sustains you or something that you run on the side ?

I done exactly what you are trying to do but was 24 when i started. Its a hard slog and sometimes a pain in the ass. where are you based ?
Im still going and making good money but there are a few things you need to ask yourself,

1) Are you going to be diligent enough to log and account for everything, mileage, all receits, VAt, accounting etc.
2) You can forget about holidays for the next 3years or so until you have confidence in other members of staff to run the shop.- and sick days.
3) Chasing customers for payments.Can you do this ?

let me know if i can help you in any way with info.

I done exactly what you are trying to do but was 24 when i started. Its a hard slog and sometimes a pain in the ass. where are you based ?
Im still going and making good money but there are a few things you need to ask yourself,

1) Are you going to be diligent enough to log and account for everything, mileage, all receits, VAt, accounting etc.
2) You can forget about holidays for the next 3years or so until you have confidence in other members of staff to run the shop.- and sick days.
3) Chasing customers for payments.Can you do this ?

let me know if i can help you in any way with info.

The fact that you mentioned these things and not securing contracts, implementing the services is quite interesting, holidays is something I have taught about, your right, I won't get any, I would plan to grow the business to take someone on but have no idea how long it will take.

It's interesting that a few of you have listed getting payment from customers as challanges, this is something that I will definatly look into more and try and watch out for, cheers

You'd need to ask yourself why people would employ you over other existing companies providing this service. If I had a business, the things I'd be looking for are reputation & reliability - knowing that you'll do the job, and you'll be there in x months time when things go belly up. For that reason, I'd never employ a company with less than 10/20 employees. If things went wrong, I'd like to know there'd be after-sales service.

Is there a loose umbrella organisation you could fit under ? I met people in the UK who all work independently, but are part of a loose organisation and will have access to the experts in various IT areas .

I work in a company providing IT solutions with 3 account managers going around trying to drum up business and ensure there's enough work downstream. Consider how much time you'd need in pre-sales, and if you're working on 1 job this week, who's going to do the pre-sales for next weeks work ?

If you want to work for yourself, why don't you just go contracting for a while ? You'll build up contacts that way.

Have you contacted the Enterprise Board and got their advice, or talked to someone who's done it before (in your line of work) ?

For that reason, I'd never employ a company with less than 10/20 employees. If things went wrong, I'd like to know there'd be after-sales service.
Most companies in Ireland have less than 10/20 employees. Many of these companies will offer far superior after-sales service than their larger competitors. Indeed many will be competing on this aspect.
For example, I use a small(er) company to provide my broadband. If something goes wrong, I'll get instant support. I might not get as high level of service with eircom etc.

You'd need to ask yourself why people would employ you over other existing companies providing this service. If I had a business, the things I'd be looking for are reputation & reliability - knowing that you'll do the job, and you'll be there in x months time when things go belly up. For that reason, I'd never employ a company with less than 10/20 employees. If things went wrong, I'd like to know there'd be after-sales service.

Is there a loose umbrella organisation you could fit under ? I met people in the UK who all work independently, but are part of a loose organisation and will have access to the experts in various IT areas .

I work in a company providing IT solutions with 3 account managers going around trying to drum up business and ensure there's enough work downstream. Consider how much time you'd need in pre-sales, and if you're working on 1 job this week, who's going to do the pre-sales for next weeks work ?

If you want to work for yourself, why don't you just go contracting for a while ? You'll build up contacts that way.

Have you contacted the Enterprise Board and got their advice, or talked to someone who's done it before (in your line of work) ?

I am trying to contact people who have done this alright, I guess I have to start with smaller jobs, pre-sales the morning, job in the evening .etc or more preferably sales and scoping day1, day2 and then a weeks worth of delivery but yes every time I'm marketing, doing accounts/admin, ordering is time I cannot deliver. All part of the challange!

As regards the contracting, you have given me the idea that maybe I could contract 1 or two days a week and work on the business for the other days? It would give me partially a steady income but I do not know enough about contracting to know if this is feasible? It's another avenue for me to look into though, cheers

Back