New Ireland Assurance - Prime Equities

Rhymnoceros

Hi,

Thinking of switching my pension to New Ireland and saw the following fund in the fund centre. It gives the description.

'This fund invests in a range of global passive equity funds. The fund has exposure to developed world, emerging market and small cap equities, and cash. The fund aims to generate a return reflective of the risk profile of the fund.'

Edit - I suppose my question is if I asked New Ireland would I be able to get a breakdown of US stock exchange, S&P500 or whatever else it's broken down to or is that as detailed as it gets.

Thanks.

Most companies produce a fund fact sheet which contains this info. They don’t have to do it but it seems to be good practice. New Ireland have a fund centre on line so you might find it there.

One other thing to look at is a Key Investor Document or KID. They have to produce this and it contains further useful info (eg fund risks and more importantly charges). I don’t know this fund but for a passive fund I would expect charges to be quite low <0.5%pa. However life cos seem to be able to get away with charging more.

Thanks for the replies. I was on the fund centre but didn't see much else on it. I'll email and request a fact sheet and see how that goes.

I have a PRSA so although charges can be lower I haven't come across many places that don't charge 1% NAV p.a so I'm guessing I'll be stuck with that charge anyway. I'd still prefer a passive fund versus an actively managed though I'd like to know how they pick the equities from the 'developed world, emerging market and small cap' or what the split between them is if that makes sense.

Thanks for the replies. I was on the fund centre but didn't see much else on it. I'll email and request a fact sheet and see how that goes.

I have a PRSA so although charges can be lower I haven't come across many places that don't charge 1% NAV p.a so I'm guessing I'll be stuck with that charge anyway. I'd still prefer a passive fund versus an actively managed though I'd like to know how they pick the equities from the 'developed world, emerging market and small cap' or what the split between them is if that makes sense.

They don't "pick" any equities, they are all passive funds, run by State Street, one of the biggest fund managers in the world. A list of the index funds used are here. You will find a lot of passive funds buy their information from MSCI.

The 1% charge is the standard charge for running a PRSA. It is nothing to do with State Street. It covers the cost of carrying out all the admin and regulatory requirements of a PRSA. Personal pensions offer much greater choice regarding charges and fund availability. You can't transfer funds from a PRSA to a personal pension fund though.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks SBarrett, that's what I was looking for. A break down of what index's used and % invested in each.

I wasn't questioning the charge. I understand there isn't much movement across the board re the PRSA 1%.

Hi Rhymnoceros,

Actually there has been a bit of progress re lower charges on PRSAs which you might want to consider. If your PRSA is over €100k in value then we have been pointing out to clients looking for a lower cost option - you can now get a 0.25% AMC rebate for PRSAs with Std Life. Therefore you can access a Vanguard Global Stock index fund with an annual charge of 0.65% p.a. once the 0.25% rebate has been taken into account. We will ( as other fims may also offer..) a 100% net allocation rate i.e. no entry charges and as with all PRSAs there are no exit charges or other restrictions on retiring or moving your PRSA elsewhere. We consider that to be a good deal and we can help clients review relative fund performance and range of funds etc.

I hope that helps and you can pm me if you need more info.

All the best Vincent

Thanks Vincent for that detailed response. I’m around two years away from 100k but will certainly look at it then. Really appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to respond.

Back