New housing estates with frozen pipes

Bronte

Apparently in some of the brand new housing estates there are frozen pipes due to bad building practices (surprise). Now there are building regulations and planning regulations that exist I'm sure in relation to this. Who signs off the compliance of such things as pipes being properly buried and insulated. Does the council check this out or accept a certificate from the builder. If the cert is signed by an engineer/expert does the householder/council have any comeback on the builder/engineer etc. Though presumable builder is long since gone and/or bust and the councils bond handed back to him.

I have frozen pipes and am in a new housing estate. Apparently there is no regulation in theis country for the minimum depth the pipes should be, In the UK\USA, it has to be wither 1 or 2 meters deep am not 100% sure.

I am in a new estate but don't have frozen pipes. i heard on radio though that it is all about the depth they are at as you say

Apparently in some of the brand new housing estates there are frozen pipes due to bad building practices (surprise). Now there are building regulations and planning regulations that exist I'm sure in relation to this. Who signs off the compliance of such things as pipes being properly buried and insulated. Does the council check this out or accept a certificate from the builder. If the cert is signed by an engineer/expert does the householder/council have any comeback on the builder/engineer etc. Though presumable builder is long since gone and/or bust and the councils bond handed back to him.

it depends on the conditions of planning.

Generally something like the following will be included:

"The roads, footpaths, sewers, drains and water mains shall be constructed in accordance with the “Recommendations for Site Development Works for Housing Areas” - Department of the Environment and Local Government (1998)* and “Specification for Road Works” - National Roads Authority**, save where the conditions hereunder otherwise require. The publication of new national standards in relation to roads and public lighting is expected and once published development shall comply with these standards."

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,2451,en.pdf

for some reason that link only goes to page 30 of 52

mar39 is mistaken....
basically, for watermains the following is applicable:

1. pipe to be classified to 9 bar pressure
2. UPVC, iron, polyethlyene or fibre cement pipes can be used
3. min dia 100mm, to be looped where possible, located under footpaths or grass margins
4. min cover of 900mm... (service pipes to houses min cover 600mm)

there are many others regarding air valves, hydrants, stopcocks, sluice valves, anchor blocks, joints etc..... but notable NO requirement for insulation around piping. The theory being that a pipe 900mm below ground level should not freeze.

Most plumbing textbooks state that the minimum reqiured depth for a mains water service pipe is 760mm below ground level. These types of water services along with most plumbing/heating installations are not checked in this country. There is no regulatory body that governs the quality and product associated with 'wet' plumbing/heating systems. That is why these problems are occurring. At least electrical work/installations have quality control procedures. Any Joe soap can become a plumber in this country, sure tis only a bit of plastic pipe and is easy to put in! Time served fully qualified plumbing/heating contractors should form a quality based organisation that will shut out down cowboy/shoddy workpractices leading to....... iced up pipes.

Back