New hot water cylinder

Society

I have a copper hot water cylinder and it looks like it is coroding and may leak soon. How much would it cost to install a new cylinder (one of the new factory insulated ones - 48 litres)

I changed one recently and also changed a circulating pump and it came to over €600, the parts were only €240 total for a new insulated tank, a new heatmaster pump €51 and don't forget best to get a new immersion, I did not think this was good value.

It’s cheaper than the 900 euro I was quoted...how long did it take to do? Thanks

It's cheap. How much to repair the ceiling, etc, never mind if it leaks and you're not at home plus you'll still have to do the replacing anyway. Got a small Lipoma (small lump) taken from the back of my neck a few weeks ago. First had a Dr's visit about it, 5 min and €40 lighter in my pocket, sent me to consultant and that cost me €150 for no more than 15 mins including paperwork, etc, then to outpatients a few weeks later covered by insurance and took another 10 mins, same consultant and he charged his fee for this of €500-00, hospital was extra. All in all I paid the consultant €650-00 for 25 mins skilled work. Looks like the plumber isn't charging half enough and it will take an awful lot more than 25 mins to do a skilled job.

I am replacing mine with a steel tank, at about €480 plus fitting.

Indeed, but it's usually €60. I guess he felt a wee bit guilty with the 5 mins, followed me out to reception and told them €40 was the "Gig price".

I changed one recently and also changed a circulating pump and it came to over €600, the parts were only €240 total for a new insulated tank, a new heatmaster pump €51 and don't forget best to get a new immersion, I did not think this was good value.

Palerider, did you do the work yourself or get someone else to do it? Im not sure by reading your post.
You said you "did not think it was a good price", was that a typo? "did or did not"?

What sort of cylinder was it? Standard copper cylinder? The size of it- height by wide, in inches?
Why change circulating pump too? Btw if changing circulating pump, bottle of heating inhibitor recommended to be added into heating system too.

Might not be a good move replacing copper cylinder. There are grants available to upgrade oil or gas boilers which obviate the need for a copper cylinder. There are terms and conditions though.

Palerider, did you do the work yourself or get someone else to do it? Im not sure by reading your post.
You said you "did not think it was a good price", was that a typo? "did or did not"?

What sort of cylinder was it? Standard copper cylinder? The size of it- height by wide, in inches?
Why change circulating pump too? Btw if changing circulating pump, bottle of heating inhibitor recommended to be added into heating system too.

"The parts were €240"......"it came to over €600 "

" I did NOT think it was a good price "

A Plumber did the work, it was a small insulated cylinder, no idea as to size., the pump I replaced had stopped working.

Might not be a good move replacing copper cylinder. There are grants available to upgrade oil or gas boilers which obviate the need for a copper cylinder. There are terms and conditions though.

The grants are administered by Sustainable Energy Ireland, (google it to find site as I can't post links as Im new member here).
But the terms and conditions do not apply for individual items but for "heating controls", not just boilers on their own but several other components, eg new room thermostat, motorized valves, cylinder thermostat etc which adds up to a lot of work and money that home owner has to pay for.
Also grants Only apply to properties built Before 2006! If built after that- no grant! But on balance of probabilities the posters property was built before 2006.

Your suggested that person get new boiler etc instead of replacing cylinder is a lot of money and work extra pipes, other components etc is a lot of hassle and money upfront.
The specific boiler to do away with water cylinder is "combination boiler", but then again if thats installed etc, in the years to come when/if that boiler breaks down, the person has NO hot water at all! No way to heat water separately by immersion cylinder electric immersion heater switch.

People should get all the facts first before embarking on any works to their homes.

My advice in this case is go ahead and replace copper cylinder- the most cost effective solution all round. But even better is for people to phone up plumbers/builders providers in their local area/national chain of companies eg Chadwicks, Brooks Thomas, Heatmerchants etc and Ask the prices of materials and then suss out tradesmen when they phone them up to get prices to do works in their homes.

Btw theres stainless steel cylinders aswell as copper cylinders, so theres the option, as s/steel cylinders are apparently less prone to rust than copper cylinders. People should get as much facts as possible.

Thanks
"The parts were €240"......"it came to over €600 "

" I did NOT think it was a good price "

A Plumber did the work, it was a small insulated cylinder, no idea as to size., the pump I replaced had stopped working.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes unfortunately it was not a good price, you were overcharged for cylinder and labour costs. 240 for cylinder and 600 euro is high price and for him to take 4 to 5 hours was a drag. Then again hope he did a good job, no leaks etc.

Excellent post by Directly. However, in many new houses there is a trend not to supply a copper cylinder/immersion. There is a 5 year guarantee on the new boiler (at least that's what I'm told). Directly is right of course, you need to upgrade the entire system to avail of the grants.

Another upside of not needing a copper cylinder:- Your spouse has additional large wardrobe space in the section that housed the copper cylinder.

Another query on the 48 litres mention..... The guideline is ~50 litres per person in the house. Do you live alone?

Ours is 300 litres.

Also now might be a good time to consider the amount of coils you'll need.

Triple coil allows you to heat water via oil, back boiler and solar.

Solar water heating is excellent and well worth considering.

Hi Slim, did that replacement work out for you. I need to have tank replaced in my dad’s house ASAP. Thanks.
Hi Dexter. No issues since but I would expect none as it's just 2 years since installed. Good luck with your tank.

Back