New Hall door & Surround - joiner stalling

alpine

I have engaged a joiner to make me a new hall door and surround from Teak.

He was supposed to have this ready around the 20th September. Did not deliver.

Promised he would then have it last Thursday (7th Oct). Did not deliver but rang me to inform me that he was having trouble sourcing the wood to make the door.

Said he would have it this week. Texted me this morning to say still having problems getting the wood.

He is notorious for his delays, however he also has a reputation as the best around. Still, these delays are inconveniencing me big time.

My question is, can anyone tell me who would supply such material for making a door? Given the notice, he should have had the material ordered 2 months ago.

There are delays at present from two different companies that we buy our teak from, seemingly containers were taken off in Amsterdam which should not have been, they should have been in Ireland last wed and I hav'nt heard if they have arrived yet, the suppliers would be on straight away if they had the stock and also stock lists would be coming through the fax from the different merchants.

The quality of teak in Ireland (and quantity) at present is not good at all, with the recession the timber importers naturally enough are not taking the risk of bringing in large quantities.

Have you called down to his workshop unannounced to see what is going on. I would be amazed if he did'nt have the makings of a single door in his stocks of hardwood unless it is something very very unusual in design.

Teak is the best for the climate that we have in Ireland.

Keep us updated.

I have not called down to his workshop.

He had mentioned that the quality of the wood is bad these days.

He also mentioned teak would be the best for lasting but mahogany would be easier to use and would nearly be as good as teak. Would this be true?

By the way, I texted him back this morning to cancel. I told him I did not have the time to be dealing with it.

He was not impressed and said he can't invent timber, nobody has stock and it is getting worse.

This was only to rile him a little as he should have had that wood back the start of September. I do not intend cancelling really and will give him a ring later.

Mahogany is no longer graded as suitable for external joinery, alot still use it especially if it is being painted.

If you go onto www.brooksgroup.ie website and they have a section brochures, chose hardwood and softwood brochures, go to tropical wood species - African (page 28).

That will show you that the Iroko's durability is High/Very High but Sapele (mahoganny to you and me) is only Moderate and you will also notice that it mentions both Internal and External Joinery for Iroko but only mentions Joinery for Sapele.

Sorry that Im not able to attach it here but maybe you are or someone else, it makes an interesting read.

Naturally Iroko is dearer to buy.

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel, but something was not quiet right, call down yourself is you don't really want to cancel, hold out for the Iroko. Its something that you are going to have for years so wait for the right one and the job done properly.

Back