Key Post New group and website to challenge disproportionate NPPR late payment penalties.

jdpl28

Hi - for everyone hit by the NPPR extortion, a group of us have put together a website to collect stories, and share any successful outcomes - potentially leading to an eventual appeal. The website is at [broken link removed], there are links to Facebook & twitter feeds there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - for everyone hit by the NPPR extortion, a group of us have put together a website to collect stories, and share any successful outcomes - potentially leading to an eventual appeal. The website is at npprappeal.ie, there are links to Facebook & twitter feeds there as well.

Good luck with this. I mentioned on a different thread that Revenue are currently charging no penalties whatsoever for late payment of the property tax even its now its going into its third year. Why these extortionate penalties were imposed by the councils for late payment of the NPPR is beyond me even when the majority of people affected lived outside the country. I am aware of one elderly woman in London who paid over €7000 in total for NPPR charges plus penalties last summer. I am going to put her onto this thread she might have some chance of getting some of her money back.

There is a general assumption in this country that anyone who owns a second house is either a landlord/very wealthy or both so screw them for as much as you can and back it up with unfair legislation. There is something in the Irish psyche in official Ireland and the general public about bashing landlords and you will get away with it. The parties of the left have a particular hatred but not one clue of how to replace the hated landlord. The business is needed as much as any other business but nobody wants to appreciate their necessity.

But the general assumption of the NPPR was that it was a second home tax when it was nothing of the sort, emigrants who left empty homes in Ireland while renting abroad were also liable for this tax, that really got up the backs of an awful lot of emigrants, bad enough they had to emigrate but to be penalized by these extorinate rates for doing so sucked to high heavens

I was not a victim of this outrageous grab but I was just making the point of how the Government got away with it and absolutely no protest from the opposition either. No votes or power in it for them. moneybox I totally agree with view as expressed in your post. Irish water will be next in line to screw the owners who had to emigrate. The politicians will call them "holiday homes" and all will be rosy.

Just a latest update on this - a number of people have appealed to their local councils & have received a 50% refund on the late payment fee from a number of county councils. I know its still a large amount of money - but its better than nothing & seems to be relatively easy to get.

Website updated with detailed steps on what circumstances you can appeal the charge & potentially get a 50% refund are updated to the website:

[broken link removed]

Hi,

My son has had to let out his property and has never heard from Revenue about paying a NPPR charge? This property was previously his home and tax has been paid on the rental income and also Local Property Tax has been paid on the property so why was he not notified re same and how can he find out more about this tax and if he has to pay it? Any advice much appreciated.

€200 per property per year right ?

I am simply amazed that no one ever went to this sort of trouble when the Government raided the private pensions of all Irish citizens over the last few years (not least because I would have felt the average deduction from each pension was more than €200 per year)... I guess the water charges was the one that finally got some of us standing up for ourselves.

Good luck with this campaign, while I am not sure if I would support it personally or not, I commend you for trying to stand up for yourselves.

I sold a property last year (November 2014). I have always kept up to date on my LPT/NPPR on any properties I owned over the years. I checked my LPT online earlier this year and it confirmed that everything was up to date. A couple of weeks ago I got a notification from my Financial Controller that there was some issue with getting the company's tax clearance cert as there was a problem with my LPT. I checked online again and everything was fine, so rang Revenue to discover what the problem was. Turns out I was liable for 2015 LPT for the house I had sold in November 2014 (Which is in itself madness). As soon as I became aware of my liability I attended post office and paid. When talking to contact in Revenue I was advised that there would be no question of a surcharge or interest on the 344 outstanding as it was very clear that I was not aware of the liability, nor had Revenue alerted me to it.
Roll forward to last week when I received my Income Tax Notice of Assessment, where I was waiting for the €2.5k refund that I was due following my Form11 return. Lo and behold Revenue have slapped a €7,500 LPT surcharge on my NoA to leave me owing the revenue over €5k. I have contacted revenue and they said they will consider the circumstances but that there is no obligation for them to explain the calculation of the surcharge and there is no guarantee that it will be reduced.

Do we live in a Soviet country now??

But you were the liable person for 2015 LPT when you sold in November 2014?

I know myself that LPT has been an ongoing saga for conveyancing transactions with apportionment a live issue

I suggest that you go back to your solicitor and ask them to review how they handled the LPT situation. Is there any possibility that the purchasers might have discharged the 2015 liability on the property?

mf

No the purchasers did not discharge it. From speaking to Revenue, liability for 2015 LPT rested with whoever was owner of property on 1st January 2014. I received no correspondence from revenue on this and on ROS and the LPT website there was no indication of an outstanding liability. As soon as I became aware of same I paid the amount immediately

I suggest that you go back to your solicitor and ask them to review how they handled the LPT situation.

mf

A similar thing happened one of my own customers recently. He got an amended notice of assessment with a whopping LPT surcharge, for a property he had sold approx 3 years ago. The LPT bill was €200-odd and he opted to pay that rather than contest the surcharge.

I have paid the LPT (paid the same day that I became aware of responsibility). I have mentioned to solicitor that handled the sale and waiting for him to get back to me. Called revenue today again and it appears that my call on 16th was not acted upon (no mail sent to their Surcharge team detailing the situation which had been promised on my call of 16th). So as far as my local district tax office are concerned then the surcharge still stands... Hopefully will see some progress soon

Back