New Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to put structures in place for decent treatment of rural Ireland.

I believe - that regional authorities should replace the county councils.

We need to start thinking in terms of regions with regards the provision of services.

Broadband in rural Ireland is patchy. But even within the cities - it can also be poor.
I travel in Britain quite a bit and mobile phone signals and broadband in rural areas of the North of England and all of Scotland outside Glasgow and Edinburgh is much poorer than in rural areas of Ireland. That's in a country which is far richer and has a much higher population density.

I travel in Britain quite a bit and mobile phone signals and broadband in rural areas of the North of England and all of Scotland outside Glasgow and Edinburgh is much poorer than in rural areas of Ireland. That's in a country which is far richer and has a much higher population density.

Are you sure about that, the richer and higher population density I mean.

As I understand it Ireland is a wealthier country than the Uk as a whole, $46,520 vs $43,390 GDP per cap according to the world bank.

And the population density of Ireland is higher that of Scotland, and possibly of the North of England as well.

The population density of Ireland is 65 people per sq km, of Scotland 67 people per sq km see ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland ). However the concentration of Scotland's population around Glasgow/Edinburgh is far greater than the concentration of Ireland's population around Dublin. Rural Ireland has more people than rural Scotland.

We really should be able to provide effective broadband throughout the country.

As I understand it Ireland is a wealthier country than the Uk as a whole, $46,520 vs $43,390 GDP per cap according to the world bank.
Britain is vastly wealthier than Ireland. It is the 5th biggest economy in the world and has been rich for 300 years as opposed to Ireland which has had high GDP rates for 25 years.
It's like living next door to someone with inherited wealth who has earned €80,00 a year for the last 40 years and thinking you are richer than them because your salary was €25,000 for the last 38 years but you have earned €85,000 for the last two or three years.

The population density of Ireland is 65 people per sq km, of Scotland 67 people per sq km see ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland ). However the concentration of Scotland's population around Glasgow/Edinburgh is far greater than the concentration of Ireland's population around Dublin. Rural Ireland has more people than rural Scotland.

We really should be able to provide effective broadband throughout the country.

We could, it's entirely possible, but it is also expensive. It's not even possible with current technology to roll out high speed broadband to every address in the country. The rural Scotland example you're choosing, their current high-speed roll out program is targeting to reach 95% of the population by March 2018 (and that 95% excludes the Highlands & islands)

They have allocated almost £50 million into a program to investigate new solutions to allow for wider coverage.

Anyone else feel this government is lame duck already?, any whiff of controversy and its all watered down again. FF always in the wings with populism to the fore. I cant see any hard decision being carried the way things are shaping up.

Anyone else feel this government is lame duck already?, any whiff of controversy and its all watered down again. FF always in the wings with populism to the fore. I cant see any hard decision being carried the way things are shaping up.
The people get what the people want.

Last edited:
FF feels threatened by SF which feels threatened by AAA.

Has anyone carried out an in depth examination and costings of AAA's policies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back