New Ford Mondeo

REMFAN

So the latest model Ford Mondeo has been with us a few months now. Just wondered what people make of it?Anyone on here buy one? Is it really as good as it was hyped up to be? Any faults noticed?
Also,is the hatchback or saloon the more popular model?

I might change towards the end of the year and am thinking of the Mondeo (if I buy another big saloon). Any feedback would be great.

All the reviews are glowing. I don't think its much of a looker myself. Estate looks huge. I think all the ones I've seen are hatchbacks.

I drove a 2.0 TDCI Zetec Esate at Christmas. It's a very big car, but drives extremely well. Impressive.

I just upgraded from a 2.0 petrol '97 Mondeo to the new model also 2.0 Petrol Titanium X

While the power is 20bhp more the actual car is more "sluggish" it must be the weight!

Overall I am delighted with the car - its much much bigger than the old model & takes some getting used to.

Would recommend it

Cashman

No connection to ford - other than a satisified customer

Drove the 1.6l it is so underpowered Ford should not be allowed to sell it!

Go for the 2l diesel

It is likely that the price of the petrol Mondeo will rise after July and Diesel fall due to VRT etc so worth taking that into account in your decision

Drove the 2.0 petrol and thought it was a fantastic car, great drive.

I have no connection with Ford, I just like their cars.

It is likely that the price of the petrol Mondeo will rise after July and Diesel fall due to VRT etc so worth taking that into account in your decision

Petrol will increase, but not by much apparently. Ford had the option to import a 125bhp 1.6, but chose to go with a 110bhp version of the same engine.

An error I think.

Had a look at one in the local dealer today. Beautiful looking car, nice sporty appearance. The finish inside is also high quality. Salesman was mad to sell me a base model 1.6 petrol. I told him it would be way to underpowered (he didn't agree, of course!). They have a deal going at the moment on the base model, alloy wheels and front fogs for 900e extra. Zetac model is well finished and likely the best value, unsure of going for 1.8D or 2.0D. What would 1.8D be like in terms of MPG and power?
New Mondeo is a fine car, I'll hang out til after summer.

Is it really as good as it was hyped up to be? Any faults noticed?

The lads on Top Gear couldn't find any faults with it, so voted it their car of the year for 2007 (along with a Subaru Legacy Outback) on the Top Gear Awards Show. This clip is 8 min 54 sec long, so if you only want to see the bit about the Mondeo skip to about 7 min 45 sec

Concur with that - I have the 1.8TDCI in an S-MAX and it most certainly is not underpowered. Loads of power and fantastic fuel economy.

I bought the new Mondeo 1.8tdci Zetec saloon in June 2007.Very decent spec.It has 125 bhp,6 gears.Very nippy and very economical for its size,great space.Computer tells me that I'm averaging 6.1 lt/100km,I have 20k km on the car now.I think it looks very well in metalic black and in titanium silver.
I think parking sensors should be standard and visibility is somewhat restricted on the LHS,probably wider piller than previous Mondeo (I traded in a 05)
Overall I think its a fabulous car.

I had a Mondeo from 2001 to 2005 and absolutely loved it so was really looking forward to driving the new one. I drove the 1.8 diesel hatchback and wasn't overly impressed, it's a big beast and takes a lot of getting used to but that wouldn't necessarily bother me as it would happen over time. I have to say that it was very quiet for a diesel but found myself upshifting and downshifting on the ring road around Waterford because the speed limit is only 60KPH (crazy, but that's another rant for another day) and it never seemed comfortable at that speed.

I know all cars have plastic bits now but go to the back of the car and gently press your foot against the bottom section of the car, it seems very fragile to me with a lot of give....and very plasticky (must patent that!).

In the end I settled for a new Mazda 6 and this is the happiest I've ever been with a new car, it's absolutely wonderful, a pleasure to drive considering it's a family car. My personal opinion of course (I have no connection to Mazda) but it's certainly worth a test drive. Don't settle for a 10 minute spin with the salesman, book it for at least 2 hours and drive it along routes you normally take to see how it responds.

Good luck.

IIn the end I settled for a new Mazda 6 and this is the happiest I've ever been with a new car, it's absolutely wonderful, a pleasure to drive considering it's a family car. My personal opinion of course (I have no connection to Mazda) but it's certainly worth a test drive.

I'll bear that in mind galwegian44. The new Mazda 6 does look well, I'll be sure to check it out. It it a 2L diesel in the new model? Are you getting good economy?

In the end I settled for a new Mazda 6 and this is the happiest I've ever been with a new car, it's absolutely wonderful, a pleasure to drive considering it's a family car. My personal opinion of course (I have no connection to Mazda) but it's certainly worth a test drive. Don't settle for a 10 minute spin with the salesman, book it for at least 2 hours and drive it along routes you normally take to see how it responds.

Good luck.

That's interesting. I've been looking at cars this week, including the Mondeo. Three independent mechanics (one an AA inspector) said stay clear if I wanted to maximise savings on service and preserve resale values. All praised and recommended the Mazda 6 or Avensis 2.0 diesel instead, unless I could afford a Lexus! They also said the new Audi A4 may be worth a look... though the jury is out on that one still. All also said to wait until July when the mist should be clearing.

Note: car allowance purchase as opposed to a 100% company car.

Three independent mechanics (one an AA inspector) said stay clear if I wanted to maximise savings on service and preserve resale values. All praised and recommended the Mazda 6 or Avensis 2.0 diesel instead, unless I could afford a Lexus!

I have also heard resale value on the Mondeo is aweful (actually on all 'Ford' models). I've heard a lot of good things about the new Mazda 6.

Ford resale values are fine. All cars depreciate though, and Mondeo sized ones tend to do so quicker than others.

Back