New Ford Galaxy €10k cheaper in UK

10to1

I've a quote of £15498 for a new ford galaxy 1.8 TD from Broadspeed. When I do the figures below I see there is a full €10k to be saved by buying in the UK. Wondering if I missed something.

Braodspeed price £15498
Less VAT @ 17.5% £13189.79
Convert to € = €14787.39
Irish Vat @ 21.5 % brings is to € 16025.59
VRT @ 24 % on OMSP of €34750 (dealer quote) = €8340
Total = € 24365.59

I've a quote of £15498 for a new ford galaxy 1.8 TD from Broadspeed. When I do the figures below I see there is a full €10k to be saved by buying in the UK. Wondering if I missed something.

Braodspeed price £15498
Convert to € = €14787.39
Total = € 24365.59

Yep, i've 2 friends doing the same thing with brand new motorbikes, still saving over 2k each.

brother buying an '07 BMW 320d coupe top spec - clearing it for €23,000..........irish book price €35,500

garages have only themselves to blame for the crises they find themselves in. Although sorry for the people actually working for these garage owners cant help but hope they get everything they deserve in the coming months for the rip off they continue to visit on the Irish consumer.

garages have only themselves to blame for the crises they find themselves in. ... but hope they get everything they deserve in the coming months for the rip off they continue to visit on the Irish consumer.
Retail prices aren't necessarily set by the dealers. There is a 1% margin for the seller on certain new BMW's.

I don't condone car pricing practices in Ireland, but it isn't always as simple as blaming the garages, although if they can't make money selling new cars, guess what other charges need to rise in order to support the business?

Braodspeed price £15498
Convert to € = €14787.39
Total = € 24365.59
VAT in the UK is now 15%, not 17.5%.
You have miscalculated the addition of Irish VAT (multiply by 1.215)
OMSP looks about right.

I am getting about €26,500 which is still about 8K saving. Sometimes Broadspeed and the like can't manage to get the car you want in a reasonable time frame. Try to get delivery to Northern Ireland to save the ferry.

the vat rate is 15% at the moment

Braodspeed price £15498

Thanks for that all. Yes in my haste I forgot the new UK vat rate and miscalculated Irish vat rate

I am also looking at buying a new car in uk. My quote from Broadspeed is 17,631 as opposed to 27,745 quoted here so a saving of 10,000to be made. However my question is how reputable is this site and will my new car be registered as 09 here if I drive it across

My business partner today took delivery of a 2009 Q7 from Dreamcars.ie saved 13500 euro on list price from Audi ireland unbelieveable..bought my car from them last year.

Retail prices aren't necessarily set by the dealers. There is a 1% margin for the seller on certain new BMW's.

I don't condone car pricing practices in Ireland, but it isn't always as simple as blaming the garages, although if they can't make money selling new cars, guess what other charges need to rise in order to support the business?

Which car has a 1% margin? Seems very low..

Am I wrong in thinking that VAT should be calculated after VRT? In other words you pay VAT on the whole price plus VRT.

I've heard this before. However all the other charges, like parts, servicing are already very expensive in dealers. Have been for years. Dealer have over extended themselves, chasing to be the big dealer with the big car showroom. The car manufacturers themselves have paid a large part in encouraging this.

Its not like most dealers can fall back on value for money, or customer service to retain customers. Thats been an alien concept for years. You can't ignore the saving to be made importing a car.

I've been looking to change for a while and have been watching the prices of certain models. Only this week, do I see prices finally dropping. One car in one Irish dealer has dropped from 15k to 10k this week. Its been 15k for probably the last 8 months or so. I think it will drop further too.

I understood the following applied - vat on the sales receipt only then vrt on the OMSP

Uk Price £15498

£15498/1.15 (less Uk Vat 15%)

Convert to Euro

Answer x 1.215 (Add Irsh VAT 21.5%)

Add VRT on OMSP 24% of 34750 or 37000 max. (can't find anything from revenue on OMSP of a new Galaxy 1.8 TD just a Jan 09 value of 33K)

Total Cost €27200

Best Dealer Quote here €34750

Savings €7550

Last edited:
dont forget to shop around for your sterling, you wont necessarily get the best rate at the bank.

bring a model in with 6 months on it and you dont pay vat

Back