New ESB Meters being installed by KN Group.

I’d say this falls under “essential services” and L5 restrictions will not affect the work being done. But I might be wrong.

The ESB are upgrading their meters in my area. They are using a company called KN Group to install these new meters.

I received a couple of letters from them and then a phone call to say that they would like to call to my home and replace meter. They would need to turn off our electricity for about 45 minutes to do the work. I am not sure if they can disconnect our electricity from outside our house where the meter box is located or if they need to call in to our home and switch it off from our internal fuse box?

Anyhow they phoned me and I said that I was not ready to have this work done. Three days later I had another call asking me if I wanted the job done. I declined.

Now we have a pretty persistent person call to our door and ring and ring our bell from the KN Group.

I am happy with my existing meter. I read some articles last year where people who got these new meters found that their electricity bill increased after they were installed.

Have you had this job done and are you happy with the result?
wasn't there some concern to health about radiation from these smart meters?

This is the company contracted to do work for the telecomms companies. Because they do "line-work" for eircom, they are the goto installers for indoor work as well.

The existing analogue meters were also tested, approved and calibrated as accurate when they were installed. Has anyone ever heard of the existing meters being recalibrated? Presumably, like all mechanical, electro-mechanical devices there will be subject to wear over time.
is this another waist like the water meters? how much is it costing? why replace perfectly Google meters?

wasn't there some concern to health about radiation from these smart meters?
There is an active conspiracy theory to that effect yes, linked to the 5G conspiracies, electric cars causing Coronavirus etc. It is unscientific nonsense, but YMMV.

is this another waist like the water meters? how much is it costing? why replace perfectly Google meters?
Discussed further up in this thread, there are loads of benefits to smart meters and most of the downsides are mostly fearmongering and conspiracy theorists latching on to the latest hot conspiracy. Not sure everybody would agree that water meters were a waste either, seemed more like a very vocal minority managed to scupper something fairly sensible to me - when clean water is a limited resource that costs the council money why should I not pay for my consumption?

Last edited:
different type of radiation4

Absolutely! Radon of course is an ionising form of radiation is a proven killer. Low level RF like you'll get from a smart meter is a form of non-ionising radiation that doesn't have the associated dangers of causing molecular bonds in our cells to break down.

So yeah, some crackpots who don't understand basic science are more worried about smart meters than they are about radon. Most of these people don't seem to worry too much that their TVs are most likely emitting far more radiation!

Absolutely! Radon of course is an ionising form of radiation is a proven killer. Low level RF like you'll get from a smart meter is a form of non-ionising radiation that doesn't have the associated dangers of causing molecular bonds in our cells to break down.

So yeah, some crackpots who don't understand basic science are more worried about smart meters than they are about radon. Most of these people don't seem to worry too much that their TVs are most likely emitting far more radiation!
And our wifi must be producing a low level effect which everyone takes for granted

Thanks Leo. Well said. Most of the type writer warriors surrounded by GHz radio signals, emissions aplenty, yet without a clue about Radon levels they are living with 24/7

...........there are loads of benefits to smart meters..........

Interested to hear what, say, 4 or 5 of these 'loads of benefits' are, to the customer, please?
Apart from the obvious one of making meter reading (and readers) redundant.
Debatable though as to whether those employed as such would see that as a benefit.

Well I for one can’t wait. Have had a nightmare with BGE - have been billed for an extra 20,000 units as the meter was read incorrectly (by esb). Nearly 2 months later and still not rectified

Interested to hear what, say, 4 or 5 of these 'loads of benefits' are, to the customer, please?
Apart from the obvious one of making meter reading (and readers) redundant.
Debatable though as to whether those employed as such would see that as a benefit.
By no means an expert on the topic, so please don't ask me to defend any of these, but the things that interest me in no particular order -
  1. Dynamic tarriffs. Ireland wastes a bunch of wind energy every night, flexible tarriffing should allow the energy companies offer reduced rates at those times to use it. We'll see a similar peak in generation earlier in the afternoon with more solar on the grid, so again should help there. So pay less for what you use.
  2. Live visibility of your electricity usage. Useful to spot appliances that use a lot of power. Handy to understand if you'd benefit from solar panels. You'll be able to see what times of day you use more power, and possibly adjust that to save a few quid. You'll see your usage in € not the fairly obscure (to most people) kWh. More likely to be engaged with what you're paying for electricity and be encouraged to switch providers to get better deals (smart meter users in the UK are 22% more likely to switch provider). You'll be able to match your usage to competitive offerings more easily/accurately to get the best deal. In summary, reduced usage so you pay less.
  3. Accurate billing. As you said, no more waiting for the meter reader to come around or taking meter readings as you move between rental properties
  4. Automatic use of cheaper tarriffs. Some appliances, like washing machines/dish washers/car chargers can be connected to a smart meter so the meter can tell them when electricity is cheapest and they should start
  5. Quicker fault finding by ESB as they'll be able to see every house that is live/offline. Particularly interesting for medically vulnerable users as the network could detect failures for them instantly.
  6. Less prone to failure/inaccuracies as old analogue meters
  7. Improved pre-paid meter experience, see live usage in an app and top-up there etc.

Thanks Leo. Well said. Most of the type writer warriors surrounded by GHz radio signals, emissions aplenty, yet without a clue about Radon levels they are living with 24/7

For some, the most implausible of conspiracy theories make more compelling reading than a basic science book. Especially where evil corporate forces can be blamed. Adding my own unproven theory to the mix, I think there's a correlation between large cohorts of these people and a level of unhappiness with one's circumstances coupled with a preference to blame society or some authority figure rather than put the work in to address the real root cause. But that's probably one for another thread :)

My old meter was changed to one of these "smart meters" Ater ESB had installed it, my bill was over 50x the normal amount. I'm now locked into a dispute with Airtricity over the outrageous bill. €2300 for 3 months for an unoccupied property for which I was paying only a connection fee and related charges.

Presumably you had some read the old meter before it was replaced, and who verified that the new meter was set at zero when it was installed

My old meter was changed to one of these "smart meters" Ater ESB had installed it, my bill was over 50x the normal amount. I'm now locked into a dispute with Airtricity over the outrageous bill. €2300 for 3 months for an unoccupied property for which I was paying only a connection fee and related charges.

Contact these people

Mine was finally replaced on the 18th of October
Guy arrived called to the door, submitted the old meter reading and installed the new meter and was gone in about 30 minutes
Got my first bill in early November showing both his reading and my end of October reading, everything as expected
But was a little surprised somewhat disappointed at the end of November when I found in my letter box an ESB request to "Submit your readings"
Thought these new smart meters were supposed to be able to be read remotely??

Back