New Deposit Account With Anglo Irish

rochs

I am thinking of Moving €150,000 in a Term Deposit account @3% with AIB to Anglo Irish 12 Month Term Deposit @5.25% is this a safe move.

rochs

Hi Rochs, you could give the Financial Regulator a call to check. We had money on deposit with last year with Anglo. The accounts matured at the turn of the year and we are now deliberating, like yourself, whether or not to lock it in for another year. According to the FR, all deposits are guaranteed by the state until midnight on the 28th September 2010. The date may not be quite correct, but it is around that time anyway. The FR's numbe ris the centre pages of the phone book and they are really helpful. Good luck.

I am thinking of Moving €150,000 in a Term Deposit account @3% with AIB to Anglo Irish 12 Month Term Deposit @5.25% is this a safe move.

Your deposit is 100% guaranteed by the Irish state.

You could also consider the Investec term deposit at 5.58% for 6 months.

yeah, but Investec is backed by the British Financial Controller or whatever they're called over there..........do you really want to risk your few bob over there? I suppose it couldn't be much worse than here though hey?!

Isn’t the state Guarantee to a max of 100k, that would leave an overhang of 50k??

With regard to the scheme – people are talking about the strength of some institutions versus others – but surely that is not relevant, bar getting caught up in the red-tape of reclaiming your cash, your money is as save in EBS as AIB, or an Post for that matter which is sate guaranteed (probably to >100k though).

I have some cash with FA and some a couple of the Irish banks, which gives me a bit of comfort. Also, if the whole thing goes even further belly up and people are trying to cash in on guarantees, there is a surely going to pressure on each country to look after its own citizens first?????

I have read what people have said about rabo – and understand they have a AAA rating, but again if it goes nuclear, they don’t even have brach you can call up to (bar their HQ in IFSC).

Gammarid, Anglo is now nationalised. It is fully backed by the Irish Goverment for all deposits.

5 others are also covered for all deposits by the gverment guarantee.

yeah, but Investec is backed by the British Financial Controller or whatever they're called over there..........do you really want to risk your few bob over there? I suppose it couldn't be much worse than here though hey?!

50,000 GBP is guaranteed by the UK state. It's Safe.

Is the Anglo Irish now more safe than the rest of the banks because it is nationalised?

Back