New credit card - same bank as current account

Curious81

Hi. AIB recently talked me into applying for a credit card with them. I already hold my current account with them. This was all discussed over the phone and I was going close my MBNA cc (no significant balance transfer as I rarely use my cc). They posted me out a form but are now saying I have to go into a branch with ID and proof of address. I was surprised at this since I hold current account already with them. Is this normal?

Hi. AIB recently talked me into applying for a credit card with them. I already hold my current account with them. This was all discussed over the phone and I was going close my MBNA cc (no significant balance transfer as I rarely use my cc). They posted me out a form but are now saying I have to go into a branch with ID and proof of address. I was surprised at this since I hold current account already with them. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal they are not singling you out for special treatment.

I suggest that you call them back and tell them that you expect that they will cover the cost of your travel and time for this. I reckon my time is worth €50 per hour.

Otherwise you would need to see some advantage in the AIB card to make it worth your while to switch.

Thanks cremegg. My only real reason for wanting to switch was the convenience of being able to keep an eye on my cc in the same on-line profile as my current account. So I think I'll leave good enough alone and not bother changing it to AIB.

Back