New cooker switch neon light permanently on

Discussion in 'Homes and gardens' started by Susie2017, Apr 16, 2018.

  1. Susie2017

    Susie2017 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    122
    I had a new cooker switch think they are called 45 w switch fitted in the kitchen. I wanted the red neon light to work correctly as a reminder to switch it off. Unfortunately it's on all the time. I assume it was wired incorrectly. Any electricians out there for advice ?
     
  2. Jetblue

    Jetblue Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    155
    Yes, sounds like the Neon is fed from the " Mains IN" rather than the Mains out to the cooker, assuming of course that the switch IS Isolating the cooker when operated??
    Who fitted it for you? was s/he qualified?
    These small jobs can be awkward and tricky.They require care.
    Cooker cable is difficult to manouvre in tight spaces. It's important to make good connections.
     
  3. Susie2017

    Susie2017 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    122
    thank you Jetblue. It was a handyman who was doing other work in the house. Said he would get one of his electricians to do the job, but i think it was the tiler who he actually delegated the job to. Not joking. I was not there to supervise everything they were doing, regrettably. Cooker is working, but could this be dangerous? I have told him but he has not come back to look at it. Seems not worried about it at all.
     
  4. Leo

    Leo Moderator

    Posts:
    9,155
    That'll be a 45 Amp cooker switch.

    I think you need to get a qualified electrician out to check this over and certify it correctly. Depending on the age of the house, if they just reused existing wiring, there's a good chance it's not rated to handle those currents, and so could be a fire risk depending on the load. If they did run new wiring, and the person doing the work wasn't a certified electrician, then you both broke the law.
     
  5. Jetblue

    Jetblue Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    155
    The fact that the neon is lighting all of the time isn't dangerous of itself!
    However it doesn't give me great confidence in the strength of his connections. A loose or bad connection will lead to overheating at this point.
    Get someone capable to check it out, for "both" our peace of mind!
     
  6. SparkRite

    SparkRite Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    979
    Simple reversal of Input/Output (Live/Load) not dangerous in itself, but shows a complete lack of attention at best or complete incompetence at worst. Either way he must have noticed it when finished but couldn't be arsed to correct it.

    If existing wiring was used then it is probable that it is fused correctly to protect said wiring but as was pointed out it is very important to make good tight connections to avoid arcing and the subsequent heat. The person who fitted it would not inspire me with confidence on that front. I used to return maybe a week or so later just to recheck and tighten if necessary anything from 6 Sqmm and above.

    As regards whether a cert is required I'm not 100% sure (keeps changing) as no new circuit was added, just a switch change.

    To sum up, I would definitely get it correctly wired and checked by a competent electrician.
     
    Jetblue likes this.
  7. Susie2017

    Susie2017 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    122
    They were tiling and changing worktop. A new cooker was put in but they didn't change the cable to my knowledge. The switch I asked to be changed afterwards as the old one had no neon light. What is 6 sq me and above ? Sorry if it's a silly question. The house was built in 1999 so I'm not sure if wiring is ok. Many thanks I will seek out a qualified electrician.
     
  8. Leo

    Leo Moderator

    Posts:
    9,155
    6 mm refers to the size of the cable; each core will be 6 millimeter squared.