new car

• Thread starter Henny Penny
  • Start date
H

Henny Penny

... following a recent incident with a 40 ton lorry I am looking for a new car. My car history so far is

92 Renault Clio ... first job ... all I could afford
99 Toyota Yaris ... better job
99 Honda CRV ... swap with Mr. Penny
01 Volvo v40 ... needed a big boot ...
02 Saab 93 ... fell out with volvo when bits kept coming off it

As you can see I have no brand loyalty ... I am looking suggestions ... I want something that is reasonably safe ... and will hold a family of 4 ... not a people carrier or a 4X4

Thanks ...

&

This section might be of interest

IMHO has to be Mazda for reliability/comfort.

What did you think of the Saab? I presume you are not looking for another?

Slim 8)

I hear Lada are starting production again (Top Gear Sunday night)-East European reliabilty and style!!!

A friend of mine has a Skoda Octavia, solid, spacious, huge boot and cheaper than it's VW and SEAT stable mates. The Renault Scenic has lots of space for 4 and good EURO NCAP safety scores.

Car

I liked my Saab ... and yes I might buy another one ... but I would rather try another marque if possible.
I don't want a Mazda ... even though the 6 is a nice car. I love the scenic ... but it's a bit flimsy inside ... the corolla verso might be better but it's more expensive ... has anyone had a PT Cruiser?

I have a PT cruiser and love it, diesel, more power that I need and it is very roomy back seat my 6'2" son fits with leg room, handles great and is fun to drive, have owned for 10 months with no problems.

Honda Accord, it won a car of the year award in the UK last year and its a brilliant car. Extremely reliable user friendly.

Check the for the availability of the new Renault "Logan".
A hand -made car.No robots are used in the factory.And for €7500 the cheapest on the continental market,available from spring 2005 .Sure you would have to pay the VRT,but still a good deal.

Hi H

"No robots are used in the factory" .. why would you regard this as a good thing?

N

I bought a Nissan primera a couple of weeks ago and I am delighted with it. Best thing to do is go sick for a day at work and spend the day test driving cars in your price range . Do you intend toy buy new ?

Hi Natchessmen!
No,neither a good or a bad thing concerning quality of the product.But certainly a guarantee concerning the quality of the workers wages.The "Logan"is produced in a European country where the standard wages are only half the amount of what Renault pays their workers plus the social security of a "real"job.
A car that is assembled by hand can be repaired by hand,similar to the Lada.A garage won't need to buy the know- how from the manufacturer,any mechanic could do the job.So in the long term it might not be even cheaper to buy this car but also to maintain it.20 years ago I exchanged the motor of the windscreen sweeper of a Lada,for someone who had only lubricated bicycle chains and repaired punctures it worked out very well.Doing the same job with a modern car could be risky,more than a fuse could blow(smiley).
(Btw:I am not associated to any car manufacturer/retailer,in fact I would appreciate more investment in better public transport and better cycle lanes .)

Best thing to do is go sick for a day at work and spend the day test driving cars
Best for who? Not your employer, who has just been ripped off for a days pay? Not your workmates who have to take up the slack?

With this kind of attitude, I expect the kind of restrictions on sick pay introduced by Pickfords Removals in the UK (no employer sick pay for first 3 days - just minimum social welfare, sick calls must be made to a registered nurse to will analyse your symptoms) to become more common here.

Test driving

... not sure yet whether I will buy new ... tend to hit things in supermarket carparks etc ... so every little scrape would make me cry on a new car.

A dealer I know has been lending me cars since my accident ... so far I've had a VW touran (minibus) and a toyota corolla (not if you paid me would I have this car).

I think the best way to test drive a car is to bring 4 small children with you and let them loose inside the car you are interested in while the dealer talks to you. When you get back you will know exactly what the build quality is like from the bits your children take off!

Rainyday you must be an employer from your attitude.
Check and see the number the members on line from 9-5.30 and see who else are cheating their employers.
Henny , going on what you say you would be better picking up a second hand trade in from a garage, until you get enough experience and confidence to buy a new model. Check this link [broken link removed]

re car

wouldn't advise buying an E-class mercedes (95-02 model) apparently they have a rust(!) problem. Caused by using 'stretched steel' or something.

see any mercedes forum to confirm.

I would suggest another Saab, or perhaps a BMW ?
(I like BM's - their quality is unrivalled to my mind - but they nearly always seem to be driven by a##h###s! )

Toyota Avensis is a good big car and will never breakdown or maybe worth looking at an Audi A4 Avant (estate). You could probably get a good price on a ford mondeo also. Or maybe a skoda superb - terrible name but a huge car that is essentially a VW.

Well said Rainday for point out the dishonesty of someone skiving off a day "sick" from work when they are not sick , just to test drive cars.

Someone then replied "Rainyday you must be an employer from your attitude.
Check and see the number the members on line from 9-5.30 and see who else are cheating their employers."

I am not an employer but yet I have Rainydays attitude to this matter, as I think every half decent citizen should have.
Just because a few / some members - clearly not all - are on line between 9 to 5.30 means nothing, because a lot of people now work shift work , flexitime, etc or may be students, housewives, retired people or on holidays or genuine sick leave. Other people may log in on break or lunch time. But even if people did log in during working hours- and I am sure there would be some who do - then two wrongs do not make a right. Oh , the other fellow stole so I can steal as well ( time ie money from the employer ).

I wonder what line of work the person who advocates stealing time off work (or spending time at work on line on private business ) is involved in ? It is hardly likely to be at the competitive end of private industry.

Back