New car on order, should I wait 'til July 08?

Thanks to Bacchus also; I'm going to email the dealer now and cancel/ postpone the order until post 01/07/08 and I'll take my chances on depreciation on my current car in the intervening period.

Please elaborate.

Dealer has a new car in stock for sale on 01/01/08, but customer decides to defer until 01/07/08.

Any stocking finance payable on the new car in the 6 months is an issue for the dealer.

Customer can always go elsewhere and strike a new deal if need be.

Lower emissions vehicles will be largely saleproof in the next 6 months.

Got it from a car salesman today that the distributors/manufacturers are already upping the new car prices to absorb a lot of the VRT cuts!

Slim

Got it from a car salesman today that the distributors/manufacturers are already upping the new car prices to absorb a lot of the VRT cuts!

Slim

Thought so. Cars sold by manufactures to Ireland are cheaper than many EU countries but the added tax of VRT makes them more expensive.

I expect that dealers would up the prices of vehicles, but I'm still happier waiting 6 months so that "my" new car will be locked into the new emissions based motor taxation system as opposed to the current cc system. When it comes time to trade in I'd imagine that there will be some differential in values for post 01/07/08 vs pre 01/07/08 registered vehicles.

When it comes time to trade in I'd imagine that there will be some differential in values for post 01/07/08 vs pre 01/07/08 registered vehicles

Trying to get my head around this! If I buy a car in January that then goes down €2k in July and is then cheaper to tax, over the following 3 years, how different is the depreciation likely to be? If, in 3 years, the only difference between the two cars is,say, €100 p.a. in the car tax, will there be much of a difference in the trade in value? [Assuming there is no change in the meantime, i.e. emissions tested at NCT and taxed accordingly]

Slim

If the importers do put up the price of the cars it will benifit the owner of the "older" car as it will make sure there is no sever drop in second hand prices. If they don't all the people that already own cars will loose even more on there cars.

The difference prob will only be the price of the tax.

Trying to get my head around this! If I buy a car in January that then goes down €2k in July and is then cheaper to tax, over the following 3 years, how different is the depreciation likely to be?
Slim

I don't know, but what I do know is that the difference in taxing the vehicle I was interested in was about €250 (significant enough me thinks!).

I think the new 2-tier motor tax system is a joke typical of an incompetent government. People who have invested in green cars in the last few years are getting a rough deal. If your car is clean you should be paying a lower rate regardless of when it was registered.
They should have gradually phased in a full CO2 system for all cars.

I think the new 2-tier motor tax system is a joke typical of an incompetent government. People who have invested in green cars in the last few years are getting a rough deal. If your car is clean you should be paying a lower rate regardless of when it was registered.
They should have gradually phased in a full CO2 system for all cars.
There is no outcry in the media.Why? Have the media been muzzled? I've sent two emails to the Indo disagreeing with the implementation date and the two tier system,neither appeared.I sent emails to both ministers,neither were even acknowledged.
Unless this topic is discussed on Gerry Ryan or/and Joe Duffy we are wasting our time discussing it on forums.
Attack before its too late.Send mails to and ring Gerry Ryan and Joe Duffy.

Do us all a favour.....BUY IT NOW and do your bit to reduce the country debt of a couple of €Billion>>>>

There is no outcry in the media.Why? Have the media been muzzled? I've sent two emails to the Indo disagreeing with the implementation date and the two tier system,neither appeared.I sent emails to both ministers,neither were even acknowledged.
Unless this topic is discussed on Gerry Ryan or/and Joe Duffy we are wasting our time discussing it on forums.

I agree entirely. I bought a new car this year that has a low emmisions diesel engine. My road tax will now be over €600 with the increase. However an identical car bought next July will pay less than half that not to mind the cut in VRT. The value of mine will also probably drop more than usual because of the new rules which will make buying a new one more attractive than a 1 year old car.

i agree with earlier poster; the media are deafeningly silent on this issue and the dealers are saying that they have yet to work out what they are going to do !!
Can anybody tell me what the difference between buying a Passet 1.9TDI now or 1.7.08 would be ?

I estimate roughly a decrease of €1800. Your CO2 = 154g. That's band C. Your VRT should go from 25% to 20%. The 2.0tdi may come down €2,300.

Slim

Matt Cooper's "The Last Word" is normally a good show for covering motoring. They would often have the AA on to comment on government policy. I have missed the show the last few nights so I'm not sure if they have revisted the subject since the budget. Perhaps we can start a thread to email these shows listing e-mail addresses.

I’ve a 2.0tdi estate ordered with no trade in, Dealer said he didn’t fully understand the implications but I’m not convinced, he mentioned that the discount available to me now, mightn’t be available in July.
20% of cars in Ireland are diesel, the % in forecourts I presume are less. Any current efficient diesel will be devalued, something the dealers will try to avoid.
But not everyone likes diesel engines, so the less efficient 1.6/1.8 petrol’s may hold onto their values for longer and become more valuable to the dealer.
For dealers to retain the loss to their current diesels in stock will temporary up there base price. Or at least not offer a full discount, until the market stabilises in 2 years or so.
Diesels cars will become more affordable and subsequently devalue customers pre july reg’s cars
I’m currently looking at a €2700 cheaper car and a saving of €160 in 2009.
But as always everyone situation is different, I need a car, and to get me to July I’ll have to pay at least €1000 for a disposable car and lose my €500 deposit.
The dealer said “depending on the discount available in July, I might only be saving myself €600-€700”
A rep that trades six 1.9tdi passat’s every year and not from the same dealers (3 here 2 there) got the same story.
A local BMW dealer said he could give me a 318d touring SE for €7000 less than there currently charging. But what about someone trading in a 318d in 2009/10
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, and any suggestions greatly welcome

I’ve a 2.0tdi estate ordered with no trade in, Dealer said he didn’t fully understand the implications but I’m not convinced, he mentioned that the discount available to me now, mightn’t be available in July.
20% of cars in Ireland are diesel, the % in forecourts I presume are less. Any current efficient diesel will be devalued, something the dealers will try to avoid.
But not everyone likes diesel engines, so the less efficient 1.6/1.8 petrol’s may hold onto their values for longer and become more valuable to the dealer.
For dealers to retain the loss to their current diesels in stock will temporary up there base price. Or at least not offer a full discount, until the market stabilises in 2 years or so.
Diesels cars will become more affordable and subsequently devalue customers pre july reg’s cars
I’m currently looking at a €2700 cheaper car and a saving of €160 in 2009.
But as always everyone situation is different, I need a car, and to get me to July I’ll have to pay at least €1000 for a disposable car and lose my €500 deposit.
The dealer said “depending on the discount available in July, I might only be saving myself €600-€700”
A rep that trades six 1.9tdi passat’s every year and not from the same dealers (3 here 2 there) got the same story.
A local BMW dealer said he could give me a 318d touring SE for €7000 less than there currently charging. But what about someone trading in a 318d in 2009/10
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, and any suggestions greatly welcome

Also, Can you buy a car from the dealer and register it yourself later, keep it in storage ?

Back