New car leaking water into boot - Options

Z

z104

Hi , Bought a 08 new car. It has a 2 year warranty.

Found a puddle under the spare wheel in the boot.
It's letting rain in somwhere.I dried it up when I found it first time only to find another puddle there after it rained at the weekend.

I've brought it back to where I bought it and they said they'll take a look.

If they cannot fix the leak can I demand and be given a new replacement?

What are your rights in this case. Has anybody on AAM ever handed back a new car and been given a replacment?

You can't just hand the car back!

You have a warranty and it will be fixed, does the car have a Towbar?

You can't just hand the car back!

Why not? The OP said "if it cannot be fixed..."

If it cannot (which is possible I assume) surely you are just 'handing back' goods that are simply faulty - doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

No tow bar

Does the sale and supply of goods act not apply equally to faulty cars?

It's not a faulty car, it has a fault, which will be rectified, that's what the warranty is for and will cover any faults that may occur due to a manufacturing fault.

It does, but you must give the supplier a chance to fix the leak.

If he manages that where's the problem?

Had the same problem a while back...brand new car...letting in rain...
Hatchback door needed to be adjusted so that it sealed properly...The garage fixed the problem, replaced the matts in the car and then demonstrated (by using a high pressure hose) to me that the problem was fixed. Never had another problem with it and in fairness they took my complaint very seriously and did everything they could to make sure I was satisfied with the fix.

No problem if they can fix it.
I hope they can fix it- My question was - what if they can't fix the problem?
It's now got me thinking.
At what point can you ask for a refund/replacement due to an un fixable "fault" with the car?
Just becuase a car costs more does it mean you have less rights with regards to refund or exchange?

No problem if they can fix it.
I hope they can fix it- My question was - what if they can't fix the problem?

Dont cross that bridge until you come to it. You might be giving yourself a worry for nothing

You have different rights, it's Arbitration, not so much a legal route of court. I can see why you might want your money back after buying one of those but usually if it went so far that you were sat in arbitration it cost every body, you might get a new car but you might end up spliting the cost of change with the selling dealer and you cover your own legal cost. It would not be something I would be pushing for.

To be honest you would have to show a string of major faults, lack of good service, time off the road etc etc, you would have to build avery good case.

Just be sure to document everything so that you have a strong case if worst comes to worst.

Back