New car from the UK or NI

angie

Hi just a question I am thinking of importing a new car from the uk mainly because the options available on it there are far superior to here so even if it cost me the same it would be worth it just wondering though do I reclaim the Uk VAT on exporting it and then pay the Irish VAT and VRT here. Or does the dealer in the uk sell it to me net of VAT because I am exporting it ?. Sorry if this has been answered before but I could'nt find it.
Thanks,
angie

You will pay no VAT in Ireland if there is more than 6,000 km on the clock as far as I am aware.

You will not be able to reclaim any UK VAT paid (unless maybe it is a business expense, in which case I don't know).

If your privately buying the car in the UK, i think VAT has to be paid, but because your exporting it straight away it might be worth checking the DVLA website or UK revenue website to find out.

Car has to be 6 months old and have 6000KMs done for no irish vat.

Are you talking about buying a new car? If so, it'll cost you a lot more than it would here. Manu people from the UK buy cars here as they can save thousands due to the lower base price here.

Hi yes its a new car the new 7 seater santa fe. The model in the uk retails at 25k stg but it comes with sat nav, incar dvd player, and a cool box between the front seats. So I was calculating that if i can get the vat back in the uk it would work out at roughly the same price as the new one here which is around 48k. The extras are not offered here. And yes I know these things are not essential to driving but I would like them.
thanks
angie

I don't see how a private individual, presumably not registered for VAT, can reclaim VAT on a car bought in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter.

If you are buying a new sante Fe 7 seater in UK you will pay vat unless you have an Irish vat number and when you register it you will pay VRT as private vehicle at rate revenue say.

ClubMan said:
UK includes NI.

GB and NI are separate in terms of vehicle licensing and registering - eg you can import car from GB to NI - UK is not in terminology of DVLA............

That santa Fe is not a commercial vehicle so you will pay 30% of the book price for that vehicle in ireland on top of what you have paid for it in England. I do not know you can claim the vat back. not possible i'm thinking for a reg joe soap.

angie said:
Hi just a question I am thinking of importing a new car from the uk mainly because the options available on it there are far superior to here so even if it cost me the same it would be worth it just wondering though do I reclaim the Uk VAT on exporting it and then pay the Irish VAT and VRT here. Or does the dealer in the uk sell it to me net of VAT because I am exporting it ?. Sorry if this has been answered before but I could'nt find it.
Thanks,
angie

are you sure it works out cheaper after you pay the VRT ?

I strongly suspect that wheather you import a car from the North or Britain, the (VRT) charges will be the same ~ you just cant avoid them, although by importing from 'Britain' you will incur extra freight charges too!

The UK = Northern Ireland + Britain.

If the vehicle is brand new then you tell the dealer that the car is for export to Ireland, you will sign a declaration stating that the car is for export and the VAT will be paid in Ireland, this will also be signed by the dealer, who will issue the vehicle with a number which has X (export) on the plate so that the UK customs can tell. This declaration is then sent to the DVLA in England. The dealer will give you the V5 registration document to present at the VRO Office.

When you enter Ireland you will have to pay the Irish Vat on the purchase price of the vehicle converted to euro (net of vat price). Ìn addition, VRT will also need to be paid.

You may not claim the Vat back on a passenger vehicle.

"NOT ADVISED": I live in the North East and what many people do is buy a new car in England and as above tell the dealer its for export, export the car to ireland do not register it till its either 6 months old or has done 6000 miles, after either of these dates, which ever comes first, people are then registering the car and not paying any vat.

"NOT ADVISED": I also am aware of cases in which people have claimed the Vat back on passenger vehicles. Although incorrect they believe that they will not have a vat audit and get away with it. If they do have a Vat audit and it was discovered that they incorrectly calmed back the Vat on a passenger vehicle, the Vat will have to be paid to the Revenue in addition with Interest and Penalty charges.

Kluivert said:
If the vehicle is brand new then you tell the dealer that the car is for export to Ireland, you will sign a declaration stating that the car is for export and the VAT will be paid in Ireland, this will also be signed by the dealer, who will issue the vehicle with a number which has X (export) on the plate so that the UK customs can tell. This declaration is then sent to the DVLA in England. The dealer will give you the V5 registration document to present at the VRO Office.

Receiving the V5 and x number plate must take time, how can one do this in one day? Or does the dealer organise this for you in advance.

Also when you present the car to the VRO office in say 6 months/6000km's time, surely the date the owner sold the car to you would be on the V5 i.e. 6 months ago and start alarm bells ringing in the VRO?

The V5 document could take a few weeks to get posted to you, how can you VRT your car officially 24 hours after importing it, without the V5?

Back