New car conundrum - Laguna or Passat?

• Thread starter throughDarkness
  • Start date
T

throughDarkness

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new car and would appreciate some advice from people who have these two cars.
I've read plenty of reviews from ciao and honest john and I know what's out there right now on the market.

I'm in two minds with two cars - a '01 1.6 Laguna or a similarly priced '00 Passat. Again a 1.6.

So, I've a few questions. Is the Laguna reliable? Is the 1.6 too under-powered for a car of this size? Same for the Passat?

Generally any pointers would be really helpful. Right now I'm swaying towards the Laguna because for about 10k I can get a '01 whereas a '01 Passat will cost me 12k.

i cant comment on either of these models, but you should be comparing the bhp outputs, not the engine size.

Laguna all the way!

I have a 02 Laguna having traded up from a '97 model.
I would highly remcommend for reliability and comfort.
The Passat would probably hold its value better but you are paying the extra 2,000 anyway.
I think Renault are a very safe car too and even to compare the comfort of the seats in comparison to the hard seats of the Passat it is a winner.
My previous modle was a 2.0 litre engine compared to a 1.6 now but find it powerful enough for safe overtaking.
Would highly recommend the Laguna

Re: Laguna all the way!

Thanks fobs. A friend's father had one and loved it.

The strange thing is my father is very friendly with a dealer for years now. They're good friends and he's basically warned me off buying one. Says the electrics are crap and you'll spend more time in the garage than on the road. I've also heard a similar story from a work colleague, who bought one brand new and the garage eventually had to replace it after three months. Even the new one is giving him problems. I think it's a lovely car but am beginning to have my doubts now.

I know [broken link removed] was recommended here before, but its worth referencing

I wanted to change my car and have until recently enjoyed trouble free driving in my 01 Renault Megane. It is now giving trouble and has to have its steering rack replaced - it is out of warranty but only has 25K on the clock. I'm ticked off but resigned. But given the cost of the works necessary I'm inclined to drive the car into the ground now.

I wanted to change to the Laguna but my friend who runs a small fleet for his company has had endless trouble with the Laguna with the electrics featuring largely in their problems. He would concur with the view that the car will spend more time in the garage than on the road. They have now replaced 8 Lagunas with a range of Mitsubishi Carismas and some kind of Citroens.

For what its worth.

mf

Hi there

My parents in law have a laguna from new - its a 02 now. It has been in the garage so many times at this stage it is not funny. They are really fed up with it. Have written numerous letters complaining, have managed to get some of the parts fixed for free but are seriously considering getting rid of it now so beware.

We have a passat estate and had very little bother with it (touch wood).

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've decided, based on what I've heard here and elsewhere to forget about the Laguna.

I'm hunting for a VWGolf now after deciding against the passat as well.

car option

I would suggest that you also consider a skoda octavia. Is basically a volkswagon under a different badge and is in between the passat and golf in terms of size. Cheaper than both also - due to badge snobbery

Back