New Business Idea. Who should I speak to?

Leitz

I have a business idea which would provide a service nationally and internationally. I've looked at Enterprise Ireland website but I think it's more geared towards high-cost start-ups. My start-up costs would be minimal. Can anyone direct me to who I should be speaking to?

Give them a call anyway, just to confirm.
They'd have contacts, maketing expertise etc

Good luck with your plans.

A little help here people!

The OP has an idea for a low cost national and international service i.e. the type of thing we need right now. Has no one any ideas?

C'mon all you bright sparks!

I agree with D8lady... go and speak with EI anyways. They'll point out your options for you.

Failing that, maybe you should pay for the services of an accountant/business coach like other people have to...

Enterprise Ireland are interested in businesses that have potential for over 10 employees and over 1,000,000 of revenue over 3 years. Also they require that you will trade internationally.

But either way your first step should be your local enterprise board. They may provide help towards a feasability study.

Before you go into them make sure you do some research, who are your competitors, who do you propose sell to, is there a demand etc etc. Don't say there are no competitors, there are always competitors for good ideas!

I'm afraid from bitter experience, I'd have to disagree with the posts here suggesting you contact EI. I'd avoid them at all costs.
It sounds like you could have a good chance of success, so don't ruin it by contacting EI.

Why do you need to speak to someone? Is there a specific problem you have? Maybe try talking to other business owners through networks or internet forums.

hi there, if your new enterprise concerns an IT or technical innovation you should definitely look at the Genesis programme - this is linked to the county enterprise boards and offers funding, advice, and office space for your first year

Thanks D8 lady for getting the ball rolling and for everyones comments.
I have an appointment with the local enterprise board so hopefully it will steer me in the right direction.

Leghorn - Why do you think I should steer clear. Would be very interested to know. Also, you say I should look at other forums. Can you suggest some?, thanks.

I have a degree in marketing and 4 years experience in a relative sector which has given me the idea. The area I lack in would be how best to set it up i.e. sole trader or Ltd and so on. However, my start up costs are small and the risk involved is also small as I'll run it from home so my understanding is that I should go with sole trader. Is this correct?

I've sent some questionaires to companies that I would be aiming my service to and they have been positive and there's a big fair in the UK this year with all my potential companies in one place so I'm going to go to that and look for some feedback.

To start off it would be me and my partner looking after the national accounts but I would be hoping to extend it internationally and employ.

I've looked at Enterprise Ireland website but I think it's more geared towards high-cost start-ups. My start-up costs would be minimal. Can anyone direct me to who I should be speaking to?
Start up costs are nothing to do with it, EI support companies who can create jobs in 3 year and generate 1m turnover and export focused are very desirable.
check out [broken link removed]

Leghorn - Why do you think I should steer clear. Would be very interested to know. Also, you say I should look at other forums. Can you suggest some?, thanks.
EI will smother your fledgling business in red tape. You generally have to spend money, before you can apply to get half back. However, before you get a penny back, you'll probably have to hire an accountant to fill in all the forms. Best to get an accountant that 'knows' what best way to fill in enterprise Ireland forms. This all costs money and time.

If you are buddies with EI people, it will smooth the course, and give you the opportunity to become a grant junkie. You'll end up changing the way your company operates to appease EI people (many of whom have never worked in private enterprise, never mind know what kind of problems and pressures you have. They don't care either). If you decide on the grant junkie route (that was their term BTW) your business will be viable as long as you keep getting grants.

It can take months of paperwork to get anything back, and even if you are approved, it is still a gamble. Our company was approved, we went through all the hoops, but we ran out of time, money and patience with it all.

This was my experience. Other people may have had more positive experiences.

(Since severing our relationship, we haven't looked back!)

other forums - the Ask about business forum on this site, www.irishbusinesswomen.com linkedin there are also various networking groups

Was approved a small capital grant from our local enterprise board in Feb, but was informed of a caveat which is new...subject to approval by the Dept of Finance! I worked long and hard on my business plan and factored in cash injection by March. I find it unbelievable that funds for new enterprise have been frozen when new jobs urgently need to be created. I'll be soldiering on anyway with or without their help.

Subject to the same dept. finance who can't do basic sums?! Unbelievable...

Might be worth yelling at your local TDs on this one.

Best of luck.

Back