New-build snagging disaster

If the solicitor is "unhelpful" consider changing them. They should be on your side, not the builders.

It's not par for the course for new builds. Its par for the course for sub standard builders and developers. Night and day difference between different builders.

I think a hundreds spent now on surveys and reports might save you thousands later. I think if a builder hands it over like that, you've no hope they will fix any of the stuff, they'll just drag their feet every inch of the way. Had the same with my own house way back when. I regret I didn't walk away. It's a good location, but nothing short of rebuilding from the drains up will every fix all the issues.

But can I, is the question? My solicitor has been pretty unhelpful so far, he reckons this is par for the course with new builds and I need to just sit tight. But he hasn't seen the state of the place! I do have a mortgage clause in the contract though so maybe raising these issues with the bank might be the better avenue...
Your solicitor will likely want to wait to hear the builder's response before deciding on a course of action. Snags are are common in new builds and in most cases the builder will resolve enough of them so the purchaser closes. There's a risk of up running up additional unnecessary legal costs for something that will be resolved without legal intervention.

The windows are still an issue, but one that can be addressed once the builder has a chance to review and respond to the snag list.

Your solicitor will likely want to wait to hear the builder's response before deciding on a course of action. Snags are are common in new builds and in most cases the builder will resolve enough of them so the purchaser closes. There's a risk of up running up additional unnecessary legal costs for something that will be resolved without legal intervention.

The windows are still an issue, but one that can be addressed once the builder has a chance to review and respond to the snag list.
I'm done though. I want out. Given my experience so far, I've no faith whatsoever in the developer to rectify anything to a level we'd be happy with. This is not my being overly fussy, just facing facts, it's that bad.
For my family's sake and peace of mind (and pocket!), I need to get the heck out of there and start afresh.

You will have to give the builder the chance to remedy the situation. You should set a deadline on when this should commence. If it is not started at that time, say the contract has been breached by non performance by the builder and you want your deposit back. Even if they do start on the snag, I wouldn't pay anything over until the water, ESB is connected and you can ensure that everything is running properly.

I'm done though. I want out. Given my experience so far, I've no faith whatsoever in the developer to rectify anything to a level we'd be happy with. This is not my being overly fussy, just facing facts, it's that bad.
For my family's sake and peace of mind (and pocket!), I need to get the heck out of there and start afresh.
youll need to follow due process, and if they can snag it satisfactorily you dont really have a leg to stand on contractually.

As above really. The only alternative is if the builder has a waiting list of people who would happily match or improve on the price you've signed up to and would be happy to let you opt out without penalty.

As above really. The only alternative is if the builder has a waiting list of people who would happily match or improve on the price you've signed up to and would be happy to let you opt out without penalty.
Sadly I doubt that, since the development was initially sold out on launch but a couple of other houses seem to have come back on the market since, making me suspect the writing's been on the wall for a while. Just wish I'd jumped sooner too!

Last edited:

Would the windows be enough to make it a dealbreaker I wonder? Since it was part of the deal and listed in the specs at contract.

This is mad. If work is that bad then of course you should have the legal right to walk away. What’s the point in contracts otherwise?

Would the windows be enough to make it a dealbreaker I wonder? Since it was part of the deal and listed in the specs at contract.
You would need to talk to your solicitor about at what point the contract is deemed broken due to non performance. As snag lists are par for the course with housing and new builds, I would guess that not allowing the builder to complete the snag would be premature.

Unfortunate for you, this will not move quickly and you will have to continue in your rented accommodation. I would get a thorough engineers report and leave no stone unturned and do not pay over the money until absolutely everything is in place.

You would need to talk to your solicitor about at what point the contract is deemed broken due to non performance. As snag lists are par for the course with housing and new builds, I would guess that not allowing the builder to complete the snag would be premature.

Unfortunate for you, this will not move quickly and you will have to continue in your rented accommodation. I would get a thorough engineers report and leave no stone unturned and do not pay over the money until absolutely everything is in place.
agreed, youll have to drive this process to get it done to your satisfaction the foreman will just want you off his back.

Go through the spec with a fine tooth comb and verify everything. Let you solicitor know where you are on this, they may need time to get their ducks in a row.

was there a brochure that listed all these things, where exactly were the triple glazed windows referenced?

Also measure the footprint of the house against the show house footprint.

Reading this reminds me of when we purchased our new build back in the mid 90's. We ended up taking the builder to court and it was settled before hand for 10% of the original purchase price.

Over the years we fixed most of the obvious stuff but I do agree with what everyone else is saying about the hidden stuff. If the standard of finish is so bad on the visible stuff what is going on with the other hidden stuff......as we found out.

was there a brochure that listed all these things, where exactly were the triple glazed windows referenced?
My solicitor asked for a list of specifications and details of all/any white goods/fixtures included and triple-glazing was listed in this and in all marketing materials and promos. All houses in the development were spec'd be done to showhouse finish as opposed to builders' finish. All pie in the sky.

My solicitor asked for a list of specifications and details of all/any white goods/fixtures included and triple-glazing was listed in this and in all marketing materials and promos
This is probably the most critical piece of information and where your solicitor may not have protected your best interests. The brochure is not really worth the paper it is written on and often it is drafted by a 3rd party estate agent who do not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the content

When we purchased a new build, it took 5 months to sign contracts because of differences between the spec in the contract and the spec in the brochure. The developer's solicitors would not change the contract but eventually after a lot of back and forth they accepted that the brochure would be appended to the contract.

Our solicitor was very thorough in this regard and had us sign or initial every single piece page to be included with the contract.

My solicitor asked for a list of specifications and details of all/any white goods/fixtures included and triple-glazing was listed in this and in all marketing materials and promos. All houses in the development were spec'd be done to showhouse finish as opposed to builders' finish. All pie in the sky.
Sounds like your in the clear then. I would not touch the house. The snag list only shows problems you can basically see. Treble glazing omitted alone is major,

Sounds like your in the clear then. I would not touch the house. The snag list only shows problems you can basically see. Treble glazing omitted alone is major,
I don't think thats the case, there is a contract to buy it, you can't just walk away.

Back