New-build snagging disaster

I will say even though I'm still debating what I did, especially when fixing yet another builder issue decades later.

The rest family made it their home and largely could care less about build issues.

I will say even though I'm still debating what I did, especially when fixing yet another builder issue decades later.

The rest family made it their home and largely could care less about build issues.
Yes, think I will just need to try and put regrets aside and make the best of it once it's done - assuming that actually happens. Remaining in limbo is the worst kind of torture.

Sound advice, thank you. Feels like all other parties, solicitors, agent and developer have washed their hands of any of it, and as buyers we are being made to feel like we're lucky to be getting scraps from the table, while paying close to 1m for the privilege. It's a bitter pill but since my family and finances are stuck in limbo, I have no choice but to swallow it now.

The problem with conveyancing is that you are in most cases paying a small fixed fee for a basic piece of work. If you want to take the builder to task I’d suggest you need a separate engagement or perhaps another solicitor (it’ll cost a lot more )

“The problem with conveyancing” in my experience is that solicitors appear to regard it as money for old rope and really don’t want to deal with the issues that inevitably arise. I’m not suggesting “taking the builder to task” by which I assume you mean dragging this into the Circuit or High Court which would be high risk, high cost and would tie the OP up for a long time. I suggested getting the solicitor to do his job, getting her/him to pick up on the snag list and the issue with the windows and deal with them formally given that the OP’s informal approach has failed. the objective being to get the best possible outcome for the OP. A good solicitor would knock together an appropriate cover letter in minutes. My experience in such situations is that formalising the matter brings it to a head, and achieves clarity if not satisfactory conclusion. At the very least it should give the OP the context in which to make a final decision on whether to proceed or walk away.

Yes I’m sure it feels like a bitter pill. You are correct that if you proceed, the bulider, the engineer, the solicitor etc will all get on with their lives. if you allow the disappointment to linger you will be miserable alone. If you proceed I suggest (no matter how difficult it is at first) that you then put the entire matter behind you and get on with life. in any event you need to move on one way or the other, so either walk away now or accept the best outcome you can get and embrace it 100%. And don’t look at any remaining deficiencies every time you pass them, it will drive you nuts and make you miserable. Instead move on and try to recapture the joy of your new home for you and your family, decorate and furnish it with gusto, hang your pictures, plant your garden and make your memories.

It's a great little country Ireland.. Terrible! All of this advice about suing and the engineers is just hot air. Meanwhile we continue to spend billions per annum in space heating requirements whilst living in a temperate climate. Best of luck.

Thats part of the problem here. The onus is staked in favour of the seller - rather than the buyer.
Yes, here and in most other jurisdictions caveat emptor applies to property acquisition. While Finish law does impart more onerous obligation of disclosure on the vendor, it also requires the purchaser to inspect the property, and to engage professional advisers should they deem anything to be suspicious.

IT would be much simpler if the seller had to produce a file for each and every potential buyer documenting all of the signoffs, wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams and every modification done to a house showing full compliance.
The expat forums that advise on the process would suggest that wiring & plumbing diagrams are not required, and that only significant changes would require documentation, so all very similar to the standard compliance verification and BER information for a sale here.

Some of the other documentation is commonly sought in sales here at closing, assuming the purchaser's solicitor is doing their job. There are proposals to require vendors to gather some of these documents in advance of going to the market. That would help avoid some issues with compliance, liens, etc.

For example, on Christmas day, 3 weeks ago, whilst guest at a 1950's common dormer designed house,
Anecdotes make poor evidence, Finish data would suggest the typical 1950's dwelling there uses twice the average gas energy for space heating here.

So, for the OP, his stressful experience would not happen there - I mean it is a joke considering the sum of money been paid and he seems to be in a catch 22.
Do you think adding thousands to the cost of selling a home is going to make homes cheaper or more expensive?

Hi Leo,
Quantity over quality, in the long run pays off. The selling price is very subjective anyway.

Interesting report, thanks.
"Re: Finish data would suggest the typical 1950's dwelling there uses twice the average gas energy for space heating here"
A post war Finnish (two n's) house, in Lahti built under terrible post war austerity for soldiers and 500,000 refugees, is only twice as bad as an ultra modern 2020 Irish house is a fantastic result, a testiment to their quality!!!

So Finnish dwelling 1950's,1980, 2013 BER is D1,C2,B2. What is the equivalent here ?
20,000kWh of total heat +elec energy is excellent in a climate where typ winters see snow and ice on the grond for 6 months of the year (no kidding)

Isnt the average CRU value 4200kW of elec and 11000kWh for gas , in a temperate climate ?

Last edited:
A post war Finnish (two n's) house, in Lahti built under terrible post war austerity for soldiers and 500,000 refugees, is only twice as bad as an ultra modern 2020 Irish house is a fantastic result, a testiment to their quality!!!

Haha, have another read. How many 2020 houses here are using gas for space heating? The vast majority using gas are older urban builldings, many of them from the 50's and 60's.

I see many 1970's house for sale with BER F/G or and as for 1950's irish houses, good luck. These houses are on sale for 500k+.

Prices here are more a reflection on a market suffering from years of under-supply rather than a measure of quality. My last home was built in the 50's, mass concrete walls but once dry-lined my heating bills were below the national average.

98% of residential houses are oils or gas or elec open fire.- what is the % of 2020 houses with heat pumps as a share of the total domestic dwelling population 1-2% ??.

How many houses from the boom use fossil fuel - answer = all of them. They are NOT old houses.

Gas is shorthand for fossil, a needless expensive burden in a temperate climate. You should hardly need to provide any thermal heat input in a climate of 5C - 20C, designed and built properly.

Anyway , back for the OP, its a disaster the system, - is your advice to sue ?

Last edited:
98% of residential houses are oils or gas or elec open fire.- what is the % of 2020 houses with heat pumps as a share of the total domestic dwelling population 1-2% ??.
You're the one who brought up 2020 house energy use, why don't you tell me? Then tell me why you brought it up in relation to average gas use for space heating.

How many houses from the boom use fossil fuel - answer = all of them. They are NOT old houses.
Again, you seem to have missed the point there completely. Only about 20% of the total housing stock dates from that time.

Anyway , for the OP, its a disaster the system, - is your advice to sue ?
Perhaps have a read of what I said.

Double check your contracts to see whats promised versus what you can see in the initial snag list. You probably need your surveyor to do a level 3 survey to thoroughly check for major issues. Triple glazing instead of double is a huge difference if triple was contractually agreed. Its not so much the surface finishes in the interior I'd be concerned about so much as major structural issues - get your surveyor back in - a type 2 survey on a small house cost me just over 500 euro so imagine you're looking at 1-2k for a large new home on type 3.

Full report won't cost you that much. No, I don't work in surveying! I asked someone who was very involved in the original pyrite campaign who they recommended, and I found a guy in Slane that did a small house for about 500 euro. That was a level 2 survey - level 3 would go to checking additional stuff and it certainly sounds like there is a real case for giving yourself satisfaction in this case

If that is your experience, leave that solicitor and get a competent one. I had one a couple of years ago on a failed sale who straightforwardly dealt with a major issue with the seller and took no nonsense. Told me in no uncertain terms to walk away from the purchase and explained why. I did get a second opinion from a local planner who seconded everything she told me. Your solicitor is working on your behalf, not the sellers.

Actually you can get aggregate data for all homes built ever - since 2016, in 2022 census, and electric heating represents a dwindling proportion - about 50% of all 93k homes built in this period have electric forms of heating (most likely heatpumps).

Type of Heating Value
No central heating 943
Oil 8,702
Natural Gas 29,506
Electricity 44,611
Coal (incl. anthracite) 349
Peat (incl. turf) 557
Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) 369
Wood (incl. wood pellets) 527
Other fuels 6,537
Not stated 1,027

All households 93,128

This survey suggests there's around 61k heat pumps in use in residential as of mid 2022 again from census,

That's nearly 18 month old data so guessing figure even higher now