New browser....

B

brianbmcd

Read in the weekend papers that thie new browser Mozilla Firefox seems to be the real McCoy, just wondering if anyone has ditched explorer and if so what are the benefits?

Thanks
Brian

Re: from the horses mouth

and here for some discussion on firefox 1.0

Not a tech chap meself but I assume it's easy to revert back to IE if not happy with firefox?

changing browsers

To check or change the default browser, start Internet Explorer and go to 'Tools - Internet Options' and select the 'Programs' tab. Now tick the box labelled 'Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser'. To change the file association, run Windows Explorer (right-click 'Start' and select 'Explore') then go to 'Tools - Folder Options...' and select the 'File Types' tab. In the window with all the file types find the Extension entry for the URLs (type a 'U' in the field to bring you the first file type starting with 'U') -- also named 'Internet Shortcut' -- click the 'Change' button below, find and click the icon for Internet Explorer or Mozilla and click OK.
While being able to select either browser by clicking on the relevant icon, selecting the default browser for clicking on a link may entail a reboot for the setting to take hold.

changing browsers

Excellent. Most helpful post car - thank you.

changing browsers

I downloaded Firefox 1.0 last night and spent about 30 minutes playing with it. Very impressed !
The tabbed pages seems such an obvious feature to have that I wonder how I never missed it before.

Re: Changing Default browser

...Or if using Windows 2000 (or later), you can use the "Set Program Access and Defaults" control panel to change the default browser.

This is part of the "Add/Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components" control panel application.

If you don't have a separate entry for "Set Program Access and Defaults" under Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools, then choose "Add/Remove Programs" and click on the "Set Program Access and Defaults" tab on the left (below "Add/Remove Windows Components").

PS I use Firefox and like it a lot especially the tabbed browsing. I find the V1.0 better than the prerelease candidates - haven't found a site yet which it doesn't support, but I'm sure there are some, as many sites only support IE.

haven't found a site yet which it doesn't support

Try these...
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>Windows Update</li><li>[broken link removed]</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

Sounds good, will download straight away.

Thanks for all the advice.

Brian

Back