New boss for Irish soccer team

elacsaplau

I want Joe Schmidt

Failing that someone who will provide as much entertainment as Martin did........................….in his interviews with Tony O'Donoghue

Some good times under Martin - play off win against a highly rated Bosnia
and Herzegovina,great time had in France supporting a team that remained competitive.
Great wins against Austria and Wales away , Germany at home and a creditable draw away .
Retirements , injuries and apparently dissension in the camp have brought us to where we are now and of course recent results haven’t helped ! but thanks anyway Martin for the good times.
Wouldn’t mind seeing Mick McCarthy back - probably the last manager that had us playing a decent brand of football albeit with hugely more talented players.
I don’t think Joe Schmidt is up to managing a team in a truly international game !

I don’t think Joe Schmidt is up to managing a team in a truly international game !

Good Man Deise - we might have to agree to differ!

I'm sticking with the idea that his tete-a-tetes with O'Donoghue were, by a distance, the best entertainment he provided!!

Can't wait to get Keano's reaction to the appointment of a world class manager - Mick McCarthy! :p

Good Man Deise - we might have to agree to differ!

I'm sticking with the idea that his tete-a-tetes with O'Donoghue were, by a distance, the best entertainment he provided!!

Can't wait to get Keano's reaction to the appointment of a world class manager - Mick McCarthy! :p
Association football is, for the most part, a boring game to watch. The latter stages of the World Cup, the latter stages of the European Cup and most matches in the Champions League being the exceptions. Watching Ireland (republic of) playing is both boring and stressful in equal measure. Roy Keane was a great player but an ignorant man. I'm glad to see the back of him.

I love to see Mick back, luv it!... if only to upset Roy "I'm more important than the team" Keane.

Yea, sure the Rugby World Cup is only the second best attended sporting event in the world, behind the Soccor World Cup and ahead of the Olympics.
When partipants, sponsorship, viewers, value, access and a few other factors are taken into account it is the 6th most popular sport in the world (behind Soccor, Basketball, Cricket, Tennis and Athletics).
I know there is a strong sense of inverted snobbery against it but it is a truely international game by any standard.

Stephen Kenny deserves the job. If any current international thinks that having someone from the LOI come in as manager is beneath them, they are free to leave.....

And will someone tell the dictator at the top of the FAI that nobody is falling for his 'change the manager and hope they forget about me routine'.....

Stephen Kenny won't work, he'll be gone within 3 years. I'd like to see him succeed but the jump from LoI to International Football, from past-timers to pro's is too great IMO.

Find a hungry young manger who won't be looking for 1m+ a year, an Eddie Howe type. Lee Carsley is getting big plaudits for his work with Everton youths.

Stephen Kenny won't work, he'll be gone within 3 years. I'd like to see him succeed but the jump from LoI to International Football, from past-timers to pro's is too great IMO.

Find a hungry young manger who won't be looking for 1m+ a year, an Eddie Howe type. Lee Carsley is getting big plaudits for his work with Everton youths.

See that's the problem. Lee Carsley working with youth teams is now considered more qualified than a manager who took a team of 'Part Timers' to the Europa league group stages, has won five championships and 3 FAI cups. English football is great but it is not everything. Bring in Carsley or a Mark Kennedy who is highly regarded or someone like that but not as a number 1.

Carsley has played pro-football at the top level for club and country. Kenny hasn't, not that that should be a deal breaker.
But it's the way things are...Kerr didn't work out so I'd be weary of the LoI route again.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have a problem with Stephen Kenny being appointed but surely he must look at the dearth of quality in the squad and wonder if he’s on a hiding to nothing.
The fans , I feel , will turn quicker on a manager who currently earns his corn in the LOI rather than on one who has an international pedigree

I wouldn’t have a problem with Stephen Kenny being appointed but surely he must look at the dearth of quality in the squad and wonder if he’s on a hiding to nothing.
The fans , I feel , will turn quicker on a manager who currently earns his corn in the LOI rather than on one who has an international pedigree

Maybe but think Irish football is at such a low point that someone like Kenny would be given time if he clearly outlined what he was trying to do. If we could see a link between the successful under age teams into the u21's and into the senior team. I think he would be given a couple of campaigns.

All this is academic anyway. Problems for Irish football run a lot deeper than who manages the Irish Senior team....I have never seen such apathy around the team..It's even worse than the end of the Staunton reign. Then at least people were angry. Now they just don't care...

I must say I’ve seen far more anger on fans forums, in the bars prior & particularly post recent games and in the Aviva than apathy.
Attendances have held up quite well despite poor results , a lot will depend on the draw for the Euro qualifiers and our chances of qualifying and the enthusiasm with which the new manager is greeted before we can return to the days of 70,000 fans descending on France for Euro 2016.
The recent performances of the under age sides give us some hope for the future.

I think Kenny would be worth a shot. By all accounts he's a 'technician', coaches very well, has a philosophy and insists on the team delivering it.

Great players are usually bad managers. I find no evidence as yet that Robbie Keane has anything to offer, his personality wouldn't seem to lend him to being an inspirer of men. Other Keane has run out of road other than his TV 'angry man' caricature.

We're too much of a retirement home for 'generalists' - Trap & Martin O'Neill are last century's men. Auld fellas, no ideas, 'sure go out and play' types. This nonsense of announcing the team an hour before the game - I coached a 3rd string Div 6 u12 team and they all knew the team and specifically what their roles were days before a final - and even they (3rd string) could execute. Our international team seem to be just playing on instinct....

Whatever about the reception Brian Kerr got, or the respect he commanded, the current bunch have few stars and are in no position to moan. Look at Michael O'Neill in NI and what he has achieved. Reputations last about 2 games, if you're a spoofer collecting a pension cheque you'll be sussed straight away.

Opt for science. Put the money into a full LOI youth structure (not every second year) - though I think 15s would be time enough to start it.

Micheal O'Neill went from Shamrock Rovers to NI.

Think Kenny could make a decent job of it if the media let him.

I really think the FAI were pushed hard by Cork and the big Dublin clubs to get him away from Dundalk...

FAI were pushed by no one. This was all about Delaney saving himself. He wanted McCarthy in and then realised there'd be a backlash in the media if Kenny was overlooked. So he's throwing cash at the problem by hiring them both and getting everyone on side, incl the media.
I listened to Dunphy's podcast today and even he's supportive. Giles was on too and it turns out he was called by Delaney and Kenny in advance of the decision.

Delaney has brought everyone into the tent on this one and has bought himself another 3 to 4 years minimum at €380k a year + exps. Clever moves by him but at the expense of youth football for all our kids in this country

Back