New Best Buy mortgages thread - review wanted

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am trying to improve the Best Buys mortgage thread.

As a lot of the best rates are available for 90% mortgages, I propose to just have one thread.

I have probably been looking at it too long today, so I have become a bit overwhelmed.

I want to shorten it to maybe about 20 rather than the current 50 lines.

I can just about follow my own table. So I think that others will have even greater difficulty.

Maybe rather than have a Best Buys list , I should just choose 5 categorie and why I recommend them.

Best mortgage for FTBs
Best mortgage for switchers
Best cash back mortgage
Cheapest mortgage
Best Green Mortgage
Best 10 year mortgage

And then maybe 5 products and why I recommend against them?

Brendan

Hi Brendan

While I can certainly that a lot of work went into the above table, I wonder does it really add anything to the comparison tool maintained by the CCPC?

Hi Sarenco

Good question. I find the CCPC such a useless organisation that I had not even bothered to look at their mortgage comparison tool recently.

I have looked at it again now and it's full of useless information such as APR, total repayments etc.

It doesn't seem to include the cash back? But maybe I am looking at it incorrectly.

It does not seem to allow a comparison of Fixed rates and variable rates. That is a big downer. Many people will think "I want a variable rate mortgage " and not appreciate that fixed rates are much better value.

But I will study it more later and use it to confirm my figures.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

The cashbacks are there when you drill into the details of the individual mortgage products but they don't translate them into an effective rate (as per your table).

I think you're right to use it as a tool to cross-check your own numbers.

Thanks username

Again, they ask you "Do you want a fixed rate or a variable rate?"

I am not sure that should be the first question.

I will study tomorrow.

Brendan

Ok, I have complied a Best Buys guide for First Time Buyers

Bonkers and the CCPC start with the question: What sort of buyer are you? FTB, STB or switcher.

And that is a good way of splitting them down.

Brendan

Assuming youre searching for fixed year mortgages, by default it lists *only* the 1 year fixed rates, of which Ulster are not good, hence they dont show. You need to select the 2 year fixed term in order to see 2 year Ulster rate etc. There is no view that shows all fixed terms as you have done. Its the "Filters" button on top right on your phone. On your laptop it is in the filter menu in the left hand panel.

Hi user

Thanks for that.

I had to scroll down to find it.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to First Time Buyers.

My new layout is "at a glance" and explains the pros and cons.

Brendan

Back