New apartment - should locks be changed?

muffin1973

I am about two weeks away from moving into my brand new apartment, finally.

I assume the builders would obviously have keys to get into the apartment so I was planning on changing the locks - is that a 'must-do' or would anyone think that unnecessary?

Im due to get the kews to my place soon, still waiting for the solicitor to ring me back to get a date for closing .....we not going to change the lock thats already there but we will add another lock to the door which should do.

There is no guarantee that the builders still have any keys, but for peace of mind you could change the locks. We didn't do it when we moved in, and 12 months later, everything's ok :) .

Way back when ..... we moved into our house and I drew up a snag list for the builders, sent it onto them requested they contact me for access, I came home one evening to discover they had been into my house and completed some of the snag list, they used our kitchen for their breaks but left the dirty ware in the sink., they also used some of my material (filler, paint, etc.) to complete the jobs - these were upstairs in a spare room - obvioulsy had a good look round the house. I complained and all I got was a set of keys returned. Another day, I returned home to discover that they (it must have been them) had borrowed a hammer and nail bar to work on someone elses house.

We added another lock an that finished that.

What cost peace of mind.
As a matter of course I would change the locks, everyone who worked on the building had access to those keys and while it is likely most of the trademen are richer than the buyers it makes sense to change the lock. Since it is an apartment you only have the front door and maybe a sliding door to the rear so 25 to 30 euro for new cylinders.
Personally I like to keep the old cylinders for when I am having work done so I can put one back to give a key for access. Makes everything more secure and safe.

Gimme said:
Way back when ..... we moved into our house and I drew up a snag list for the builders, sent it onto them requested they contact me for access, I came home one evening to discover they had been into my house and completed some of the snag list, they used our kitchen for their breaks but left the dirty ware in the sink., they also used some of my material (filler, paint, etc.) to complete the jobs - these were upstairs in a spare room - obvioulsy had a good look round the house. I complained and all I got was a set of keys returned. Another day, I returned home to discover that they (it must have been them) had borrowed a hammer and nail bar to work on someone elses house.

We added another lock an that finished that.

You should have charged them for breaking and entering.

Back