New Anglo Premium Demand Account.

M

mushypea

Anglo just announced a new Premium Demand Account - 5.3% for balances up to €20k and 4.5% thereafter.

Sounds good to me !

Yes there is! You gotta learn to check the press releases section guys! :p

[broken link removed]

It's on their website [broken link removed]

However, the page is inconsistent with content on that same page and with press release:
1) page gives 2 separate rate guarantees, one for ECB+0.5 and another for just ECB+0
2) page states only avail by post or telephone, while press release states online access.

• Available by post or telephone
  • A variable interest rate guaranteed to at least equal the European Central Bank rate (until 1 January 2009)

Thanks, I've updated the Best Buys link.

I don't think there is any contradiction with the Press Release. Online account access is just to view balances. Press release says account can be opened online - which normally just means the PDF form can be downloaded, but that account opening link isn't working so I can't be sure. There are two guarantees, depending on whether your balance is under or over €20,000. The current rates happen to exceed the guarantees.

I notice the 5.3% is quoted on their website as a "bonus rate". Any idea if this is a split rate with a bonus percentage added annually?

Not quite sure what you mean but [broken link removed] all interest is paid annually:

3.5 Interest is credited to the account annually on the last working day in December, or when the account is closed

With UB Reward Reserve it called its rate a bonus rate and gave 0.25% each quarter and another 0.25% in December - just wondering if this might be the arrangement with Anglo and wondering why its called a bonus rate as there doesn't seem to be any reference to it in the T&C's

There are references to the bonus rate in the T&Cs. My reading is that the bonus (above the standard rate) applies if the balance is always under €20K.

Be very aware of the Terms and Conditions of this Praemium Demand Account. If an account holder has €20,000 in it it has interest of 5.3%. If an account has over that amount i.e. €20,000.01, then the entire amount has interest of 4.5%. It is similar to the First Active e-saving account in that respect. The Terms and Conditions state
3.1. The standard interest rate is a variable rate with a minimum ECB rate guarantee until January 2009 and is applied to accounts with balances of €20.000.01 or greater.
3.2. The bonus interest rate is variable with a minimum ECB guarantee +o.5% until January 2009 and is applied to accounts with balances up to and including €20,000.

Hi folks,

Note the Postbank Premium Saver acccount pays very attractive demand deposit rates.

The higher your balance the higher your rate on the whole balance, no tricks

4.5% for €10k
4.55% €25k-€50k
4.7% €50k-€250k
5% €250k-€1M

Declaration time - I am a postbank employee, we'd love to have your business.

Thanks,
Col

Oldtimer - spot on

Until today I thought i was earning 7% on Regular Saver so I naturally logged on here to get the low-down on whats been happenin'..

I rang Anglo and asked about the 8% Regular Saver - no surprises that I cannot transfer my existing balance from Regular Saver into the new account, need to start from scratch on it.

Was advised that there are 2 saver products with same rate (5.35%) but slightly different T%C. As Oldtimer points out, if you want to go into the Premium, ensure not to put the ceiling of 20k in and expect to reap at 5.35%. As soon as interest kicks in and brings you over the 20k ceiling you slide back down to 4.5%. On the other hand there is a fixed-term account also offering 5.35% but no ceiling on investment. They are posting out application forms today.

if you want to go into the Premium, ensure not to put the ceiling of 20k in and expect to reap at 5.35%.
You can put in €20K and benefit from the higher rate. When the interest is paid at the end of the calendar year transfer it out leaving €20K. If you do this immediately then the most you lose out on is one or a few days' worth of the higher rate. Just don't put in €20,000.01 or more or else you will only get the lower standard rate as the T&Cs clearly state.
On the other hand there is a fixed-term account also offering 5.35% but no ceiling on investment. They are posting out application forms today.
Can't you download the form? And if you already have an account with them you can probably open a new one by just calling/emailing them. I did this with Premium Demand account having cleared the erstwhile 7% Regular Saver Issue 1 account.

Clubman, I was advised that 20k lodged to the Premium account would accumulate interest from the start of saving period and in turn would bring the saver over the threhold for higher interest return, and as a result revert them to the 4.5% rate

Can't you download the form? And if you already have an account with them you can probably open a new one by just calling/emailing them. I did this with Premium Demand account having cleared the erstwhile 7% Regular Saver Issue 1 account.

Yes, what i should've said is they are sending out a mandate agreement to be signed (by missus and I) to transfer proceeds of existing Regular Saver account to either a Premium Demand or a Fixed-term account. Btw, in opening a new 8% Regular saver I was advised I would be able to use all the same details to access account and transact via the Web. The only difference is last digit of the account number has been changed from 1 to 2 (important if online transfers are in place from other online bank account you may have)

The interest accrues daily but is only credited on the last working day of December as per the [broken link removed]. As such €20K cannot become €20,000.01 or more until the last working day of the year at which point you can transfer out the interest.
3 Interest

3.1 The standard interest rate is a variable rate with a minimum ECB rate guarantee until January 2009 and is applied to accounts with balances of €20,000.01 or greater.
3.2 The bonus interest rate is variable with a minimum ECB guarantee +0.5% until January 2009 and is applied to accounts with balances up to and including €20,000.
3.3 All interest rates applied to your account are variable. Details of the standard interest rate and the bonus interest rate are displayed in our branches and on our website or upon request.
3.4 Interest is calculated each day based on the cleared balance in the account using the then prevailing interest rate.
3.5 Interest is credited to the account annually on the last working day in December, or when the account is closed.
3.6 Interest is paid after the deduction of Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT), which is calculated using the prevailing DIRT rate at the time of payment. The current DIRT rate is 20%, but is subject to change.

Yes, what i should've said is they are sending out a mandate agreement to be signed (by missus and I) to transfer proceeds of existing Regular Saver account to either a Premium Demand or a Fixed-term account.
I told them to do this by email.
Btw, in opening a new 8% Regular saver I was advised I would be able to use all the same details to access account and transact via the Web. The only difference is last digit of the account number has been changed from 1 to 2 (important if online transfers are in place from other online bank account you may have)
You mean on www.AngloConnect.com? You can't really do much there other than check the balances as far a I can see. And the login credentials are your customer id (e.g. the xxxxx in your account number such as 1503/00xxxxxx/01), an Anglo issued PIN (which you cannot change :() and the password that you registered on application.

I told them to do this by email.

You mean on www.AngloConnect.com? You can't really do much there other than check the balances as far a I can see. And the login credentials are your customer id (e.g. the xxxxx in your account number such as 1503/00xxxxxx/01), an Anglo issued PIN (which you cannot change :() and the password that you registered on application.

Yes thats the one. My point however related to the account number for transferring proceeds into the new Anglo account.

As for your explanation on Interest accrual - the Anglo customer service people need to brush up on their ability to explain how/when interest is paid.. :p

Has anybody verified if you can do electronic transfers from Anglo Connect with this account? I've rang Anglo Irish but the representive didn't know. She also didn't know if I could set this up over the phone as an existing customer like I did the 8% regular saver issue 2 last week. They just changed the last digit.

She said somebody would call me back by the end of the day.

Back